Propagation through cutting

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello
I have used a 3 inch deep seedling tray for growing my cuttings of bougainvillea. I started cutting on 26th of last month. Now some of my cuttings have produced 7-8 or more leaves. I am a little bit confused about re-potting these cuttings. Plz help me out.
What should be the minimum size of pot/tray for a cutting propagation?
How long should we not re-pot our newly established cutting?
Does it need any fertilizer in this stage?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you post a photo of the cuttings? Bougainvillea cuttings are pretty easy to root, and shouldn't be a problem. The smallest size i use for wood cuttings is the 3 inch pot 7.62 centimeters pot. The best size container depends on the size of the cutting to be planted. Both of these cuttings are off a Ficus Benjamina and the only difference is the amount of water and frequency of watering the plant gets. I would go with a 5 or 6 inch pot for the Bougainvillea, if they are already growing leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would only increase the pot size a couple of inches and give the roots time to get thicker. In about 4 weeks you can transplant your plant into one gallon container. If you add too much soil too quickly and increase in the amount of water it can hurt the roots. New Roots need exposure to a lot of oxygen in wet to dry cycles, and if you add to much water because of water volume, the soil will not dry out enough between waterings. Keep it small at first and your roots will grow dense. New soil doesn't need fertilizer so no need with new transplant soil.

Ask a Question