Propagating Autumn Blaze Maples

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m here in MN and have about a month until leaves turn. I have a few nice 5 foot Autumn Blaze I’d like to propagate. Is this time a year ok to do this? Here are the steps i found online as this would be my first time.

1. Gather gloves, garden shears, rooting hormone powder, potting soil, a clear plastic bag, and a pot.
  2. Put on your gloves and prepare a pot with potting soil. Water the soil and allow it to drain.
  3. Cut a 4-inch section off the tip of your maple tree's branch (look for a branch with new growth).
  4. Remove the leaves for the bottom half of the cutting, and then strip away the bark.
  5. Roll the cutting in the hormone powder, and then place it 2 inches deep into the potting soil.
  6. Cover the pot and the cutting with a plastic bag.
  7. Once the cutting takes root, remove the plastic and relocate the pot to a sunny window.
  8. Acclimate your sapling by taking it outside during the day and bringing it indoors at night for ten days. After that, you can plant it in its permanent outdoor location.
Source https://www.thespruce.com/autumn-bl...move the leaves for the,pot to a sunny window.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It doesn't seem to say what time of year to take cuttings, just to take them from new growth. I would try it now and if they don't strike, you can always try again once you have new growth in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can make larger cuttings, up to a foot long, and grow them somewhere it doesn’t get below 20*. Somewhere like an unheated garage works fine. This time of year you will be making hardwood cuttings and they will take months to produce roots, basically until Spring. You don’t need to do the whole plastic bag and sunny window thing since it’s dormant until Spring.

Ask a Question