Potato growing in containers question ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there!

Thanks for reading my post and for contributing. I wanted to say that first.

So I've been trying to grow potatoes in containers; specifically wooden boxes and cardboard boxes. I wanted to ask what you guys think is the ideal watering interval for growing them in containers? (And in the ground also?). I really feel like I'm struggling with this. I've been a gardener for many years. But until recently I didn't think I needed to grow potatoes. But that recent water shutoff / water stop in Eastern Idaho is basically up to 1/3 of the country's potatoes come out of that area where they stopped and stole the water from those farmers. Up to a third at worst, and at least 25% for sure... This information on the affected numbers is also easily verifiable also, when you run numbers on how much of the country's potatoes come from Idaho, how much come from eastern Idaho (the Snake River Plains Acquifer area), and then factor in that they'd intended to boost production by 20% before this occurred. This means, that the country's bread basket is threatened and put in risk by what happened by the water theft in eastern Idaho...

Anyway, I was trying to grow potatoes before that actually. But for a long time I didn't have this idea that I'd actually need to know how to do that stuff for other than a hobby. So much of my gardening experience was mostly with non-root vegetables. Stuff like tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, and so on. And those things are wonderful but they aren't a nice staple calory food like potatoes or grain. And grain takes a lot of land. So if you really want to grow food to put on the table and don't have a lot of land, your only choice is rabbits, chickens, or potatoes... see...

So here's some factors in my decision; first, I'm in a semi-arid hot area that has poor ground water and low humidity. I'm basically in the southwest. Think land like AZ, NV, Utah, etc... that's how the land is here. IF you can bring in water, you can grow stuff. It does work! But you have to be real careful about water. And we have clay soil also; which can glue in root vegetables and not let them expand well (which is part of why I didn't get into potatoes earlier.) We get high heat, and not a lot of plant and ground cover. So this affects suggestions on an ideal water interval?

So what works for ideal number of waterings per day for potatoes in grown containers?

Also... feel free to ask me stuff if you need or want input on gardening also. I've grown a lot of things; just not potatoes. I also like to help give input if someone needs it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potatoes are big eaters. They like lots of compost and like to stay moist, but not sodden. When they flower is when they need more water for the tubers to expand.

If it were me I'd be sure they got some shade in the hottest parts of the day and misting them a few times a day wouldn't hurt either. You also might mound up some soil around your boxes , or, sink the boxes in the ground and cover the ground around them with rocks or gravel to keep the roots cool. That's how I'd try to solve the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potatoes are big eaters. They like lots of compost and like to stay moist, but not sodden. When they flower is when they need more water for the tubers to expand.

If it were me I'd be sure they got some shade in the hottest parts of the day and misting them a few times a day wouldn't hurt either. You also might mound up some soil around your boxes , or, sink the boxes in the ground and cover the ground around them with rocks or gravel to keep the roots cool. That's how I'd try to solve the problem.
Thank you very much Annie!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They like the sun on the top part of the plant, but like their roots cool and damp, and Annie is right about them being big eaters. Try standing a sheet of something white in front of the containers to keep the sun off them. Both wood and cardboard will transmit water and tend to dry out the contents, large plastic buckets, such as bulk food containers, are good, and are white and reflect the sun a bit. I have seen the plastic sacks compost is sold in used. They are good because you can roll the top of the sack down and then roll it back up gradually as you earth them up, It is easy to stick a fork through the bottom of sacks to make drainage holes, better to drill a large a hole in a solid bucket. Wood in the bottom of the container helps maintain moisture at a constant, most plants like constancy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They like the sun on the top part of the plant, but like their roots cool and damp, and Annie is right about them being big eaters. Try standing a sheet of something white in front of the containers to keep the sun off them. Both wood and cardboard will transmit water and tend to dry out the contents, large plastic buckets, such as bulk food containers, are good, and are white and reflect the sun a bit. I have seen the plastic sacks compost is sold in used. They are good because you can roll the top of the sack down and then roll it back up gradually as you earth them up, It is easy to stick a fork through the bottom of sacks to make drainage holes, better to drill a large a hole in a solid bucket. Wood in the bottom of the container helps maintain moisture at a constant, most plants like constancy.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Put the containers close together so when they grow they will provide shade for each other. Not sure about how the boxes retain water. I can tell you that plastic containers retain water much better thab grow bags. Gardening videos will tell you to stick your finger in the soil to test for moisture. Personally I use an inexpensive moisture meter on all my plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Put the containers close together so when they grow they will provide shade for each other. Not sure about how the boxes retain water. I can tell you that plastic containers retain water much better thab grow bags. Gardening videos will tell you to stick your finger in the soil to test for moisture. Personally I use an inexpensive moisture meter on all my plants.
Wow. I like it! is there somewhere that has a table of recommended water soil ratios by vegetable plant type?

Thank you very much. Plus this doesn't look expensive.

Ask a Question