Possible Well Water Contamination.....

Reaction score
We have rented the house that we live in for over 3 years now and we have been seriously considering buying it. Well we got some disappointing news this week. Our neighbor who lives directly beside of us (north) is being investigated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). They have one of those bright yellow signs in his front yard for everyone to see. I was a little worried about it but we are not on friendly terms to go up and ask them about it. Luckily my husband saw our neighbor who lives down the street a ways (south of us) at the drug store. He had actually turned in our other neighbor to the FBI four years ago for contaminating his well water and his pond. I am not sure why he turned him into the FBI as opposed to any other agency but it has been four years already. I guess before we moved into our home the neighbor had several old cars and trucks on his property treating it like a junk yard. The wastes from these vehicles got into the ground water supply that runs down hill into the other neighbors well water and pond. Our home is on higher ground so I am not sure it is contaminated. We have enforced county water (meaning the county has made it a law that we buy water from them) so we don't use the well but I was hoping to have it tested and use it for watering the garden next year. Since we are on higher ground I am not sure if our well is polluted or not but the lower lying land in the ten acres will be for certain. I am just so disappointed. I really like this house and land but I don't think that it is a good idea to buy this place now. I am going to try to get in touch with the county and find out if we can have our well water tested for free because of this.

Isn't it a shame that people and companies pollute the earth that we live on?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its criminal.

You could test the well water yourself if you can get a sample. Without looking at your local geology/topography I can't really advise as to wether its affected your supply though.

Reaction score
That is terrible, ShellyAnn! And how disappointing for you. Still, it is better to hear about this now, and investigate, than find out after you bought the house that you were stuck with contaminated land and well water.

Reaction score
Its criminal.

You could test the well water yourself if you can get a sample. Without looking at your local geology/topography I can't really advise as to wether its affected your supply though.
Its criminal.

I have an old black and white copy here somewhere. I will see if I can get it scanned and see if it is readable after scanning it so I can post it. Yes we have talked about that too. I actually emailed a place in the neighboring county and we might go ahead and do it.

Reaction score
That is terrible, ShellyAnn! And how disappointing for you. Still, it is better to hear about this now, and investigate, than find out after you bought the house that you were stuck with contaminated land and well water.

Yes it is better before we actually buy it. We will see how it all goes. I am already thinking about moving and hubby is not. LOL we shall see what the new year brings us.

Ask a Question