Plant for pot in semi shaded area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cleared a small area in front of my door and put down pebbles. I want to add a large pot - about 60 cm wide - with a plant, in part to stop visitors walking on the pebbles, but also for decoration. The site gets sun till about 10 am, and then for 2/3 of the year it gets some afternoon sun, so it is partial shade or maybe even full sun. In winter it is shaded in the afternoon though if a plant grows tall, 1 meter say, it will get some sun. I want a plant that is happy in a pot, is attractive and can withstand frosts. We often get frosts, but it rarely gets down as low as -5 C, usually more like -1 C. It can’t grow too wide or it will obstruct a path and the car, so about 1 meter wide maximum after pruning.

I’ve considered Pieris and Checkerberry which are evergreen. Honey berry sounds nice, but it is deciduous, and I don’t know if it would be happy. I have a Lonicera japonica and a Parahebe nearby in the ground that are happy, though a Lonicera japonica might be too big for the pot. Someone suggested herbs, but they either die or look miserable in winter. I once had a small conifer in the soil nearby, it didn’t survive, and I don’t find them appealing anyway.

Suggestions please.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you grow Gardenias in your climate zone? There is a ministure gardenis that is evergreen and I think that would work. Mine has been in ground for 3 years and still is only 16" tall ( same height as at purchase) and a bit wider than 16" . Nice small glossy green leaves, likes part shade and blooms twice a year, spring and fall.
They say they do well in pots also.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Gardenias die in the frost. They aren't frost tollerant.
Can you grow Gardenias in your climate zone? There is a ministure gardenis that is evergreen and I think that would work. Mine has been in ground for 3 years and still is only 16" tall ( same height as at purchase) and a bit wider than 16" . Nice small glossy green leaves, likes part shade and blooms twice a year, spring and fall.
They say they do well in pots also.also.

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Anything that keeps its leaves through the winter is considered a connifer, but I assume you mean like pine & fir trees. 23 to 30 degrees ferenheight equivalent is cold. 3 foot... Have to make the conversions to think about it. Fairly sun tollerant for a mostly shade plant, evergreen that doesn't look like an evergreen & looks nice is a tall order... The first thing that comes to mind is holly... A decorative trelised ivy, vinca, creeping st johns wort, over a frame... You are looking most likely for an evergreen bush, most things loose their leaves in the winter, unless they look like a coniffer. Its the small leaves or needles that allow them to photosynthesis through the cold periods without taking extreem damage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, we had two days in a row of 19 degress fahrenheit followed by 2days of 21, then 23 , 25, 29, 31 and 31.
Still kickin' and never turned a leaf.

Conifers are evergreen but they aren't the only evergreens.

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a gardenia outdoors in a very protected place at one house that survived brief periods of cold & frost because it was warmer where it was at than the rest of the yard, but as soon as a really cold winter came along it was done for. All other gardenias I have bought have to be brought in for the winter, and most people I talk to say the same. Glad you have one that is more hardy. Do you live in a drier climate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a gardenia outdoors in a very protected place at one house that survived brief periods of cold & frost because it was warmer where it was at than the rest of the yard, but as soon as a really cold winter came along it was done for. All other gardenias I have bought have to be brought in for the winter, and most people I talk to say the same. Glad you have one that is more hardy. Do you live in a drier climate?
It's very wet here and humid but the OP had said that the plant will be growing in a pot, so if it isn't one of the hardier varieties, it can be taken in in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anything that keeps its leaves through the winter is considered a connifer, but I assume you mean like pine & fir trees. 23 to 30 degrees ferenheight equivalent is cold. 3 foot... Have to make the conversions to think about it. Fairly sun tollerant for a mostly shade plant, evergreen that doesn't look like an evergreen & looks nice is a tall order... The first thing that comes to mind is holly... A decorative trelised ivy, vinca, creeping st johns wort, over a frame... You are looking most likely for an evergreen bush, most things loose their leaves in the winter, unless they look like a coniffer. Its the small leaves or needles that allow them to photosynthesis through the cold periods without taking extreem damage.
My understanding is that conifers have cones. Thus holly and sedums are evergreen but not conifers. I originally had a Camellia japonica outside the front door, evergreen, but it got to 3 meters tall by 3 meters by 2 meters, it was ridiculous and I suspect it ate a few posties and delivery workers.

I have Hebes that keep their leaves, and a Choisya and Pittosperma, as does a neighbours privet bush, though my privet hedge was deciduous. That said some Hebes are a bit frost sensitive.
Apparently they are okay in southern England where I live. It may depend on the species of course. It is one option. I am also considering a Choisya, which is commonplace here but I like them. I have until the carrots are eaten to decide, then I can move the pot to the front!

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well we will just have to disagree on the terms. They are interchangeable in one usage & not in the other. Your context is different than my context. When a gardenia is established, and fairly large, or in a very protected warmer microclimate it may have a chance of surviving winter outdoors. LIke in the closest city to me, which is low elevation below the foothills people do have gardenia survive, but its a very generally hot climate & the cold barely touches it for long. If you had one survive then you are one of the lucky few who has a seriously frost hardy plant, or live in a more temperate climate than I gathered from your original statements. Gardenia generally does very poorly in cold temps & it does shed its leaves down at least once a year. It is mostly evergreen only because it keeps producing replacement leaves, but not completely & is related to orange & jasmine in this respect. Which are all semi cold tollerant tropicals, spring/summer, deep south or mediteranian plants. You do have to be very aware of them in cold weather. They can't survive prolonged or repetative cold spells too far below freezing. If you do get one, just be prepared to bring it inside, or wrap it thickly with a blanket. Veronica, cheese bush, and another evergreen bush. So you were asking for specific height & size... There are ground covers, shorter herbs & mosses that are also evergreen, but that isn't what you were originally asking about. Veronica is a low growing herb. Daphne is another mostly evergreen bush that you could try.

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My understanding is that conifers have cones. Thus holly and sedums are evergreen but not conifers. I originally had a Camellia japonica outside the front door, evergreen, but it got to 3 meters tall by 3 meters by 2 meters, it was ridiculous and I suspect it ate a few posties and delivery workers.

I have Hebes that keep their leaves, and a Choisya and Pittosperma, as does a neighbours privet bush, though my privet hedge was deciduous. That said some Hebes are a bit frost sensitive.

Apparently they are okay in southern England where I live. It may depend on the species of course. It is one option. I am also considering a Choisya, which is commonplace here but I like them. I have until the carrots are eaten to decide, then I can move the pot to the front!
I am interested to know. On southern england is it a generally wet climate or do you have dry winters? The places near me that gardenia grows are fairly dry except in the depths of winter where they get rain but not snow very often. It has a waxy leaf & in my experience doesn't like to get wet. Where mine survived for several years outdoors it was a well established plant from 1970 at a rental under a porch overhang that had green fiberglass roofing that let shaded sunlight in. It was in a raised brick planter well nestled near the house in a warmer microclimate. It still sadly died after a fluke cold winter. The friends in other towns in warmer climates who have it also have it nestled planters in partial shade in a protected alcove right up against the house where it stays warmer. I am sincerely interested in both of your climates & what the difference is, if you got them to survive. I put mine out currently for half the year on the back deck, shaded under the old oak & it loves it there & hates being inside for the winter, but every single one I have had outdoors will not survive our winters here & other plant lovers in the groups I'm in echo this. Even with the cold hardy varriety. They are also very susceptible to white fly & root rot when brought indoors & it seems like most of the nurseries here sell them with this infestation already present. But perhapse its just because of the climate we have here. I am on the west coast of the USA. I get long hot dry summers, temperate spring & fall with rains, very cold prolonged winters with heavy rain & a few deep snows that melt quickly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well we will just have to disagree on the terms. They are interchangeable in one usage & not in the other. Your context is different than my context. When a gardenia is established, and fairly large, or in a very protected warmer microclimate it may have a chance of surviving winter outdoors. LIke in the closest city to me, which is low elevation below the foothills people do have gardenia survive, but its a very generally hot climate & the cold barely touches it for long. If you had one survive then you are one of the lucky few who has a seriously frost hardy plant, or live in a more temperate climate than I gathered from your original statements. Gardenia generally does very poorly in cold temps & it does shed its leaves down at least once a year. It is mostly evergreen only because it keeps producing replacement leaves, but not completely & is related to orange & jasmine in this respect. Which are all semi cold tollerant tropicals, spring/summer, deep south or mediteranian plants. You do have to be very aware of them in cold weather. They can't survive prolonged or repetative cold spells too far below freezing. If you do get one, just be prepared to bring it inside, or wrap it thickly with a blanket. Veronica, cheese bush, and another evergreen bush. So you were asking for specific height & size... There are ground covers, shorter herbs & mosses that are also evergreen, but that isn't what you were originally asking about. Veronica is a low growing herb. Daphne is another mostly evergreen bush that you could try.
I simply go by the botanical definitions whereby a conifer bears cones and has needle shaped leaves. You can of course make up your own definitions.

Gardenia is a genus, and cold tolerance usually varies across species within a genus. Thus Capsicum chinense is not so happy outdoors in the UK and is killed by a frost, whereas my Capsicum pubescens plants loved it outside and survived several frosts before finally succombing. However, most Gardenia are tender, though not all, and I’ve learnt not to trust plant descriptions in garden centres. I can’t bring the pot indoors, it’s huge and too heavy.

A Hebe or a Choisya are my current favourites.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am interested to know. On southern england is it a generally wet climate or do you have dry winters? The places near me that gardenia grows are fairly dry except in the depths of winter where they get rain but not snow very often. It has a waxy leaf & in my experience doesn't like to get wet. Where mine survived for several years outdoors it was a well established plant from 1970 at a rental under a porch overhang that had green fiberglass roofing that let shaded sunlight in. It was in a raised brick planter well nestled near the house in a warmer microclimate. It still sadly died after a fluke cold winter. The friends in other towns in warmer climates who have it also have it nestled planters in partial shade in a protected alcove right up against the house where it stays warmer. I am sincerely interested in both of your climates & what the difference is, if you got them to survive. I put mine out currently for half the year on the back deck, shaded under the old oak & it loves it there & hates being inside for the winter, but every single one I have had outdoors will not survive our winters here & other plant lovers in the groups I'm in echo this. Even with the cold hardy varriety. They are also very susceptible to white fly & root rot when brought indoors & it seems like most of the nurseries here sell them with this infestation already present. But perhapse its just because of the climate we have here. I am on the west coast of the USA. I get long hot dry summers, temperate spring & fall with rains, very cold prolonged winters with heavy rain & a few deep snows that melt quickly.
Gardenias are said to thrive in zones 8-11 in the US. I have one miniature that's called "Frostproof" and one that I got as a " buy three plants get a free plant" from a mailorder nursery. It wasn't named at all, just a bareroot sprig in a plastic bag. I planted it out front, in the foundation bed, east facing, so part shade.
The third was gifted by a neighbor. It had almost no leaves left and she said it was headed for the trash. Don't know the name of it but it recovered after two years of babying it and flowered profusely this year, faces west but still gets afternoon shade, and is as tall as me now, 5' tall. They don't become deciduous in winter at all.

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Gardenias are said to thrive in zones 8-11 in the US. I have one miniature that's called "Frostproof" and one that I got as a " buy three plants get a free plant" from a mailorder nursery. It wasn't named at all, just a bareroot sprig in a plastic bag. I planted it out front, in the foundation bed, east facing, so part shade.
The third was gifted by a neighbor. It had almost no leaves left and she said it was headed for the trash. Don't know the name of it but it recovered after two years of babying it and flowered profusely this year, faces west but still gets afternoon shade, and is as tall as me now, 5' tall. They don't become deciduous in winter at

I saw your other post that says you are in the south east. This is the difference. We all live in very different climates. Leif is in southern england. Your winters are nowhere near as harsh in Georgia as where I live. I have bought several different varrieties & the only ones that even tollerate the cold, until early September on the west coast are the frost hardy ones and cape jasmine. I'm not sure if its your humidity or something else at play, but if we get anything below 32 degrees ferenheight for longer than a cold snap at night we loose them. Except fpr those areas in nor cal that are more 'mediteranian'.
I simply go by the botanical definitions whereby a conifer bears cones and has needle shaped leaves. You can of course make up your own definitions.

Gardenia is a genus, and cold tolerance usually varies across species within a genus. Thus Capsicum chinense is not so happy outdoors in the UK and is killed by a frost, whereas my Capsicum pubescens plants loved it outside and survived several frosts before finally succombing. However, most Gardenia are tender, though not all, and I’ve learnt not to trust plant descriptions in garden centres. I can’t bring the pot indoors, it’s huge and too heavy.

So maybe we can say that their frost tollerance is dependent on something in the areas climate as well as how long or harshley they are exposed to cold? Perhapse the high humidity that is common in your area makes them more tollerant? Can you think of anything else that is different?

Yes, you are not wrong. I was reffering to the term how it is used categorically as conifer vs deciduous which is also a correct use of the word. But now I understand that you meant to convey one meaning of the word's context and not the other & that you preffer to use the term evergreen for non conebearing conifers. Its a cultural difference & that is fine.

I am an herbalist & permaculturist & not a botanist or horticulturist, so there will be differences in how I talk about plants. My personal prefference is to usually not use latin names, genus, or a lot of technical gargon. I preffer traditional & common names, but I do understand what you are talking about succinctly. I would simply say its the chinese, japanese, american frost hardy, cape jasmine, etc. I'm sorry if that bothers anyone. I don't call something millifolium. I call it Yarrow. Its a prefference.

Ask a Question