Planning to grow herbs etc indoors during winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in PA & and wanting to bring in some herbs and lettuce and maybe something else who knows before the first frost and continue to grow them throughout winter inside. Hoping that I can keep them in the basement. Obviously that's going to be the coldest part of the house. It is a finished basement. There is a fireplace down there. The fireplace is not on all the time so I'm wondering if this is going to end up working out or if the plants are going to die and I should scrap the idea or bring them upstairs.

I will also have a grow light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A basement without a grow light would be a bit of a non-starter :) but the grow light will provide a bit of warmth if you enclose things, even an efficient one. It depends a bit what you want to grow, and I don't know what your winter climate is like there, but here some herbs are okay over winter if you don't pick too much, like sage and thyme, but won't really re-grow until spring. A bit of outside protection can make a lot of difference as well, even just a couple of sheets of glass with a frame clip.
An underground room may not be the warmest, but it is likely to be the most consistent temperature, that is to your advantage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A basement without a grow light would be a bit of a non-starter :) but the grow light will provide a bit of warmth if you enclose things, even an efficient one. It depends a bit what you want to grow, and I don't know what your winter climate is like there, but here some herbs are okay over winter if you don't pick too much, like sage and thyme, but won't really re-grow until spring. A bit of outside protection can make a lot of difference as well, even just a couple of sheets of glass with a frame clip.
An underground room may not be the warmest, but it is likely to be the most consistent temperature, that is to your advantage.
Thanks. I'm in Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, a big point of bringing them indoors to keep them growing is to pick them through winter. It will be oregano, thyme and possibly some lettuce and Cilantro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at your winters on line it is difficult to tell, but I reckon thyme would be okay. If you get a good big bush growing it will stand you picking off it until Spring so long as you don't go too mad, the oregano, cilantro and lettuce would definitely need your help to produce green all year. Oregano is a perennial, and the top can die back completely in winter, but the roots usually survive to come back in Spring, I usually pick a good big bunch and hang it up to dry to see us through winter. Not sure about cilantro, not something I grow.

Ask a Question