Olive tree is losing leaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought an olive tree from a garden centre just over a year ago. It had lots of foliage at the time. I brought it home and repotted it into a slightly larger terracotta pot, as it kept falling over in the plastic pot.

It is in a west facing garden in Ruislip, north west London and my garden backs onto a park, which means it is light most of the time as there are no buildings or trees behind me that obstruct the sun. It does, however, seem to create a bit of a wind trap. So it’s windier than average in my garden.

Over the last 12 months the tree has lost more than half of its leaves. I have fed it occasionally and only water it when it gets dry, as advised with olive trees. We did get quite a lot of water last autumn and spring though and obviously I can’t control the weather.

Any ideas what is going wrong? The tree continues to lose leaves and eventually may die.

Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The new growth on your Olive looks good, so no need to stress too much.

If your potting soil (compost), drains reasonably well, you can water once a week if temps are above 70*F and it hasn't rained. In the nurseries I've worked in we watered them almost every day in summer, of course temps over 90* regularly and no rain for months, so adjust for your climate. If you are going to water it that frequently you will need to increase fertilizer applications accordingly.

Ask a Question