Old Tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 20 plants in Buckets and have all we want canned up. Plus planning on couple plants this Winter.

Question is most just let theirs go until frost. These have slowed down and look bad I'm thinking they are done for.

Will I lose that much cutting them now?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are they bush or vine tomatoes? If vine they should keep producing but bush will mostly stop producing so you might as well cut and compost the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A f3w years ago I had probably 30 pounds of tomatoes that were starting to turn but weren't going to make it before frost.

We tried making green tomato salsa. It almost worked. Thinking back, I probably should have tried pressure cooking the tomatoes first. Might try it again this year depending on how many unripe tomatoes we have.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
wrap them up in newspaper and store them in a cool place . if there is the slighest blush they will continue to ripen.
The newspaper serves to trap the ethylene gasses given off by the fruit in a layer around it rather than let it dissipate. This gas causes the plant tissue to chemically relax and begin breaking down faster, hence the effect of ripening quicker.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 20 plants in Buckets and have all we want canned up. Plus planning on couple plants this Winter.

Question is most just let theirs go until frost. These have slowed down and look bad I'm thinking they are done for.

Will I lose that much cutting them now?

big, rockpile,
From my experience, if the plants have slowed down and look unhealthy, they might have reached their peak. Cutting them now could be beneficial, especially if you're considering giving the soil some rest or prepping for winter crops. Trust your gut; sometimes the plants tell us what they need! All the best with your winter planting.

Ask a Question