Oakleaf Hydrangea - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have really been struggling with my Oakleaf. I have about 5 others (limelights, annabelle, strawberry sundae) that are thriving, but I cannot figure out my Oakleaf.

It was doing very well and then about a month ago, the leaves on one major branch all started wilting and the branch dried out and was able to just snap off. Then, a few days ago, there were 3-4 big leaves dropped off but the petiole was still connected. And then this AM, out of nowhere, there was another big, healthy branch on the ground with big, healthy leaves on it (picture attached). I have also attached a picture of the plant, showing its new growth, including new shoots at the bottom. It is just really strange to me that this latest branch just seemingly fell off.

I am in Zone 5 (Chicago western suburbs) and it is planted on the east of a fence with partial sun.

Attachments

• IMG_7548.jpeg
    IMG_7548.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7547.jpeg
    IMG_7547.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7546.jpeg
    IMG_7546.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7545.jpeg
    IMG_7545.jpeg