Not Lawn But Grass

Reaction score
Country
United States
My son cleared underbrush the Timber.

He has Kune Kune Hogs planning on getting Goats and Hair Sheep.

He asked about what grass? I told him probably Fescue likes shade. He says no I want a Native Grass. Well how about Buffalo Grass?

I don't know I'll have to check it out.

Thing is I would say it's me buying seed.

What you guys and gal's think?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to breed goats, so I can tell you that Goats prefer to eat leaves from bushes and trees, woody plants, weeds (some weeds, not all), they will eat grass if nothing else is available but to have really healthy goats you will have to feed alfalfa hay and grain as well. Gets expensive.

If he wants to plant grass it's better to stick with sheep. Sheep prefer grass over other woody plants.
Let him go to or call the Ag extension office and ask what grasses he should plant. I would assume a mix would suit better than planting only one type.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've raised Goats to all my place was hills and brush but I messed up feeding them too much. Oh they kidded ok but I didn't make anything.

Oh he is wanting to put everything in there. Kune Kune pigs,Goats and Hair Sheep.

I finally got him to sell the Horses.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've raised Goats to all my place was hills and brush but I messed up feeding them too much. Oh they kidded ok but I didn't make anything.

Oh he is wanting to put everything in there. Kune Kune pigs,Goats and Hair Sheep.

I finally got him to sell the Horses.

big rockpile
Pigs root up the soil and there will never be grass. He wants pigs he needs to keep them off the grass where the sheep are. "Edjumacate" him so he does right, Dad.

Ask a Question