No seed pods on wisteria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have 2 wisteria vines. The one has bloomed well for the last several years and produced many seed pods. This year it bloomed and no seeds. I did not prune it until late last month. What could have caused it to not produce seed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've five wisterias, sometimes they produce pods, although I don't give them much of cahance, as I prune them between Christmas and the New Year and then throughout the year as they grow like weeds. Always plenty of blooms.
I don't really worry about them. They are all between twenty and fifty yeatrs old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My 2nd plant is only 5 years old and hasn't produced any blooms yet. We did not have a lot of bees, butterflies and humming birds early this year so maybe the flowers didn't get pollinated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My 2nd plant is only 5 years old and hasn't produced any blooms yet. We did not have a lot of bees, butterflies and humming birds early this year so maybe the flowers didn't get pollinated.

Are you pruning it correctly?
Between two to four buds on side branches, in January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Definitely not. It gets pruned mid to late summer to keep it from taking over. Have it on wrought iron trellis at the entrance to our ponds. I cut it as close to main stem as possible. It blooms great each spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've been pruning ours the recognised correct way for several decades.
We always get a good show of blooms.

P1020625.JPG

P1020626.JPG

P1020669.JPG

P1020708.JPG

Throughout the rest of the year I prune off any unwanted growth, it's almost a weekly occurance until the end of September.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have always admired the wisteria that is well shaped as yours is but with all the gardens I have I just don't have the time to play by the rules!

Ask a Question