New to Forum

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I've been gardening for decades but as I age, I find the more strenuous tasks difficult. I have a couple of trugs and lots of tall containers [no bending!] I've thought of doing some indoor growing this winter. I have a grow tent, lights, the works. The only thing I've used this stuff for is starting seedlings, I'm sure there's all kinds of help I'll need!
I've been battling ivy for almost a decade now [the ivy always wins] and an evil someone tossed a pile of stinkweed seeds over the fence a couple years ago and they are battling the ivy for space.
I've never seen a weed so tall and fast growing.
On my bucket list has always been an evodia tree...I had sourced one locally a few ago, but it fell through. Still searching...
So now that things are winding down, I want to set up inside...after I have planted the garlic that is.
I am in Ontario, zone 6B.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome here. I'm thinking of experimenting with some indoor stuff this winter too otherwise I reckon I'll miss the gardening too much over winter. Not sure what yet. Something edible hopefully.
It would be interesting to see how you get on with the grow tent.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We used the grow tent (8' x 8') in the basement a couple years ago. We vented it to the outside so it didn't vent moist air in the room. It's brilliant. They come in all sizes. Thing is my husband retired and bought his dream tool...a CNC. Takes up a huge amount of space so I'm back upstairs with just grow lights...I'm thinking tomato, herbs, lettuce. Cukes I have never had luck with...more reading.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh right, well it's a really useful tool to have around.
Even a gentle fan and maybe a slightly open window just to keep a bit of air moving should help keep things fresh for the plants. Depending what you grow you could make a more loose soil mix if needed to help their oxygen supply.
As long as they've got some of the basics It should be an interesting experiment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
but as I age, I find the more strenuous tasks difficult.
Hi, welcome to the forum.
At 80 I know the feeling, I don't go head on into things anymore, do a bit, then come back later and do a bit more. Little and often keeps me moving, I'm sure it is good for me, and the occasional paracetamol helps :) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
On my bucket list has always been an evodia tree...I had sourced one locally a few ago, but it fell through. Still searching...
Sounds like a lovely tree and reading about it made me think of some Enkianthus campanulatus shrubs I saw this year. They were buzzing with bees and the smell of the flowers reminded me of honey as well

Ask a Question