New strawberry bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
DSC00906.JPG

We got this idea to make a strawberry bed here along the side of the garage. It faces west and gets sun for only half a day or a bit less. A friend of ours who grows strawberries said that would be enough sun for berries to thrive. My dad used this spot for years to dump ashes from his wood stove so it's plenty ashy. The grass and weeds do well, but do I need to add something to enrich the soil? Thinking of making a raised type of bed but don't know what to add to make it better for strawberries.There is so much stuff out there it can confuse a beginner. Looking for suggestions. Thank you all. You have been a big help getting us started on our little sunny spot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm no strawberry expert but I know of a location where the ground is thick with wild ones. Its very sandy, sunny and dry and not much else grows there except the strawberries. There are a few that pop up in my side yard every year but they don't seem to spread or be very prolific; but my soil is very rich and loamy and maybe a half day of sun there at best. So based on that observation my nonscientific opinion is they like sandy soil and the more sun the better. :)

Mind you the ones you buy at a greenhouse likely have different requirements.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Strawberries are naturally woodland plants and grow in the shade of trees, so location shouldn't be a problem.
Comfrey is excellent strawberry fertiliser, with a little bonemeal in the planting holes for root development.
Any residual nutrients from the woodash will be a plus.

You do realise, however, that strawberries can only be frown is the same place for so long before the soil becomes sour.
With respect, my suggestion would be to grow strawberries on only one half of that bed, perhaps with something like rhubarb on the other, swapping them every five years, giving the soil on both sides the chance to recover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did not know that about the soil headfullofbees. I was only going to use about half of the space you see in the picture for strawberries so It will be easy to use the other section for something else for rotation. Thank you.

Reaction score
Last year my husband grew strawberries for the first time. My kids and I really enjoyed this. In fact we enjoyed it so much that we are growing them again this year. We even grow them in flower pots. They are very easy to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Last year my husband grew strawberries for the first time. My kids and I really enjoyed this. In fact we enjoyed it so much that we are growing them again this year. We even grow them in flower pots. They are very easy to grow.
The plants are perennial, why wouldn't you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Strawberries grow only in cold climate. There is a place here called Baguio City where you will find a strawberry farm that allows customers to pick their harvest for weighing. But near Metro Manila, there is a town called Alfonso in the province of Cavite that is suitable for strawberry. Although not in commercial quantities, I have a friend whose small strawberry farm is yielding in the tens of kilos.

Ask a Question