need suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Rose of Sharon died (YIPEE! - I hated that plant!) and I removed it. Now I need something to replace it but not sure what. I think I want an evergreen, but I am open to anything- except another Rose of Sharon. I live in zone 6. The plant will be placed at the corner of the house on the driveway side. It is on the southeast side of the house. The rest of my gardens are cottage style so I really don't want anything to formal and definitely don't want something I have to spend a ton of time pruning. Any suggestions? I am mulling over a weeping evergreen of some type, or a Contorted Filbert - if I can find one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Caragana arborescens 'Pendula' Weeping Siberian Peashrub, Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lutea' Golden Hinoki False Cypress (or even a green one), Buxus sempervirons 'Variegata' Boxwood, Camellia x 'Survivor' Cold Hardy Zone 6 White Flowering Camellia, Camellia japonica 'Korean Fire' Red Flowering Zone 6 Cold Hardy Camellia, Buxus Ilex x 'Whoa Nellie' Golden Variegated Nellie Stevens Holly, Ilex x meserveae 'Honey Maid' Boxwood (might get too big for you), Ilex crenata aurea ‘Drops of Gold’, Mahonia aquifolium 'Compacta' Compact Oregon Grape Holly, Poncirus trifoliata contorta 'Flying Dragon', Pieris japonica Lily of the Valley shrub (no dwarfs, too small for your need),
Ulmus parvifolia ' Seiju ' Dwarf Chinese Elm (there are many named varieties: read descriptions of sizes), iger Eyes® Cutleaf Staghorn Sumac, Many colors of tree peony, Paeonia suffruticosa (For deep pockets only. Do not buy grafted on herbaceous roots; they WILL sucker), Korean Azalea Rhododendron yedoense var. poukhanense (same size as typical Rose of Sharon) or other Azalea that is the size you want. And don't forget large Hostas as an alternative!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
WOW! Thanks!! I will be checking them all out, with the exception of the boxwoods (can't stand the smell when they bloom) and the azalea and rhododendrons. I have tried them in the past and they just didn't do well in that bed.

Ask a Question