Need some raised bed veggie guidance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been trying my hand at the veggie gardening game for 2 years now, and while I've had some results, they've never been great. I've decided this year would be better, but I'm already off to a rough start. Short story is, I redid the raised beds this year (full info below), but soil is testing NPK depleted and pH 7.5. I have some self-seeded sunflowers that are so far doing well, and the direct sown peas, radishes, and carrots are doing okay, but I'm worried long term and what will happen when I plant other things (tomato, squash, beans, eggplant). There's so much information out there, I'm not sure anymore what the best route is...

• Should I add more compost? I've read different arguments, some saying it can help, others saying too much can hinder.
  • I have a bag of peat moss. Should I add to bring pH down or is there a better option?
  • Is it likely I'm going to have to rely on fertilizer until the organic matter breaks down?
  • Would perlite be helpful at all? While the bed soil drains a lot better than the ground, it is still heavy, and the season is shaping up to be another wet one.
Really, any advice would be helpful. I'm glad my life doesn't currently depend on my gardening skills.:LOL: Thank you in advance.

Below is more background on the garden site and what I've used, if it helps.

• The property has pretty heavy clay soil, so most plants eventually drown.
  • I jerry-rigged 2 short, barely 6 inch high, 4x8ft, raised beds 2 years ago and brought in bulk "premium" top soil that's supposed to be screened and mixed with manure compost and then I further supplemented with leaf compost and a small amount of peat. Soil tested neutral pH but moderate to poor with NPK so added some Down to Earth all-purpose fertilizer (4-6-2). Plants started off slow but picked up later in season, but I didn't have the best yield. Grew a cover crop where I could and added more leaf compost for over winter.
  • Last year, the peas, beans, and sunflowers flourished, but the tomatoes and eggplant were stunted, summer squash did well, but winter squash died, and almost everything got waterlogged with extensive late season storms. Slug population also exploded and started to ravage everything. Left root systems in ground to break down over winter but removed anything that looked diseased.
  • This year, I replaced the beds with much deeper ones (1x4x8ft), did the same soil fill process a month and a half ago, but had less peat. Mulched with leaf compost. Tidied everything thing up to help better track the pests. Did a basic soil test today, which showed complete depletion in nutrients and a pH of 7.5 Also looking like it's going to be a hot and soggy season.
  • The few plants growing only take up small area, so I could technically rework the bulk of the beds if need be.
Again, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ask a Question