Need some advice/ideas for a garden area. (Nevada)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm quite a novice at gardening, it's really sunny out here, in zone 9a, outside of Henderson, NV. It's coming more into fall soon, and, planting time should be around the corner.

I'd like to brighten this place up a bit. I have thought about putting a vine on the wall, and wondering if its worth getting rid of the rocks and putting mulch down, and putting some more or new plants in, but I know the costs can add up. I'm not the greatest green thumb. Would it be better off just getting pot plants, or those rectangular pots? I've thought about maybe hanging some stuff from the wall, however, I don't quite trust the walls could hold it all! I don't want to get too fancy, but just want to make the place a bit nicer - somewhere you would actually want to spend time!

I'm not familiar with names of plants, however some of my favorite flowers include, silver leaved gazanias, especially the orange ones - orange geberas, jersey lillies. I can't think of much else. I'd like to have some variety of color, but don't want it to look like a jungle. If possible, I'd prefer some perennial flowers, because of so many rocks and so much brown! There's water restrictions here, so they'd have to be some hardy plants.

Due to human "progress" of laying more concrete down, this area is getting hotter from that as well, not just the heat waves.

The plants we currently have (orange trumpet tree/shrub), I laugh that we have them, because I used to have a huge tree of one in my old house! I'm sick of it, although I'm not going to get rid of them, as other people like them.

Any advice or ideas are appreciated! Thanks.

20240903_115903.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question