Need help on finding a acacia tree

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi
I’d like to know if anyone can tell me what is the name of this acacia tree/silver wattle that is growing on sides of the roads right now in Perth surbuban areas especially more bush areas.

If anyone knows where can I get them as I found it 3-4 years ago at Bunnings but not seen it since and really want one.
4F8E9D5B-EBB7-4BF4-B15C-1DCA79C91346.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Australia
From way over here it looks like Acacia baileyana. A close-up of the foliage would help.
I was told it is a acacia podalyriifolia but was told Perth Bunnings or nursery don’t sell them anymore as they are a weed. But I see them growing all along Roleystone in Perth and really want one as they sold them once in Bunnings 3-4 years ago.

Want to know where to get them.
0E714992-BF9D-467E-9631-1F0F339B7E57.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
We need to be careful with those Acacia trees because they can get out of hand and cause problems. Some trees can be very invasive and do more harm than good. Native people and others use the tree for medicine.

Are Acacias invasive?
Acacias provide many benefits to natural ecosystems. However, many species of acacia have begun to invade new ecosystems. This is due to their fast growth, spines, and attractive flowers. Many species become invasive after introduction as attractive landscaping plants Google

How do you get rid of invasive acacia?
You could spray the suckers with an herbicide; however, the herbicide will damage the main trees in time. If I were faced with this problem I'd do nothing other than control the suckers by cutting them off. I would have an arborist come on-site and evaluate the stability of the acacia trees. Google

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It looks dangerously like the South Australian Flinders Ranges wattle. I have six of these and they do self-seed a lot. They are in flower now. Great as a hardy windbreak.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Cancel that. The flinders ranges wattle has an entirely different leaf.

Attachments

• IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Close-up it obviously ISN’T A. baileyana. If it’s native it can’t be invasive.
It can be from another area of Australia and therefore not indigenous to Perth. It can proliferate so overwhelmingly that it destroys the ecosystem and biodiversity of an area so badly that even the local birds consider it a pest.

Ask a Question