Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Natto
Posted on January 18, 2016 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2016/January 2016/18 January 2016 Natto/HTML/ 18 January 2016 Natto
Natto- Home Made.
Six cups of dried soy beans. Wash, soak covered with water for 12 hours on very low heat, rinse, place in colander,3 liters of water in pressure cooker. Cook at 15 PSI for 2.5 hours. Drain and allow to cool to around 100F.

Boil a pot of water to sterilize all tools as required. Be as clean as possible.I dip all utensils in the large pot of boiling water.

Use the teeny Natto spore measuring spoon and take one scoop and dissolve with 1\2 cup of sterilized or bottled water at 100F. Pour over the beans in a sterilized pot and mix very well.

Place half level about 1 inch of beans in the plastic containers. Cover with plastic wrap or sterilized cheese cloth. Install container tops. Place in dehydrator set at 100F.

Allow to ferment for 24 hours. Check for the cobwebs. It should be done. Store in refrigerator for 24 hours then use as desired.

The Natto may be frozen and used at a later date.
dsc_837817%20january%202016%20natto_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Oh goodness!!

I am literally frightened of ever trying Natto again after trying it here! The smell, the texture...it's actually quite popular here in Japan though! You can even buy it in containers at convenience stores!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Come on. You are living in the home of Natto. One of the best foods ever invented. I can finally make it as good as what you can buy in Japan. I have a daughter living in Tokyo and she wont eat Natto, but her two kids love it both under ten.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Come on. You are living in the home of Natto. One of the best foods ever invented. I can finally make it as good as what you can buy in Japan. I have a daughter living in Tokyo and she wont eat Natto, but her two kids love it both under ten.

I think it's one of those things that you just have to grow up with to appreciate and enjoy! I don't know that I will ever be converted to it! There's so many health benefits to it though, that maybe I should at least try...

Ask a Question