myrtle tree help please

Reaction score
Hey guys im new into gardening and i just had my backyard replanted with new myrtle trees i got from the shop and are 6 ft long and i have never pruned or know anyone who does it.
Can someone please guide me through how to prune this tree into an umbrella ? And i want to grow a bit also so it dosent touch the fence

Attachments

• 20140803_155950.jpg
    20140803_155950.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 342
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey guys im new into gardening and i just had my backyard replanted with new myrtle trees i got from the shop and are 6 ft long and i have never pruned or know anyone who does it.
Can someone please guide me through how to prune this tree into an umbrella ? And i want to grow a bit also so it dosent touch the fence
Crepe Myrtles come in many sizes, from dwarf 3 footers to big trees 40+ feet tall. They also are multi-trunked so expect shoots to come up from the ground. If you know the variety it will be much easier know what to do. To keep it off of the fence cut any limbs that are equal to or a little higher than the top of the fence but I wouldn't do any pruning this year. Wait until the limbs almost touch the fence and prune them then

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We purchased a small crepe myrtle in Georgia a couple of years ago and brought it to Ohio with us. I do not know what variety it is. It survived the severe weather we had last winter which apparently is a surprise. I recently asked a nursery owner how to prepare it for the cold weather that is coming and she replied "it will never survive an Ohio winter." What can I do to winterize this beautiful plant. It is about 7' tall and still has all of its foilage, although it is starting to turn. Thank you in advance!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We purchased a small crepe myrtle in Georgia a couple of years ago and brought it to Ohio with us. I do not know what variety it is. It survived the severe weather we had last winter which apparently is a surprise. I recently asked a nursery owner how to prepare it for the cold weather that is coming and she replied "it will never survive an Ohio winter." What can I do to winterize this beautiful plant. It is about 7' tall and still has all of its foilage, although it is starting to turn. Thank you in advance!!
What you can do is when it is going to be super cold for an extended period of time is to wrap the trunk with Nsulate or some other insulating fabric. You must also mulch your tree with about 4 - 6 inches of top quality mulch out to the drip line

Ask a Question