My Thyme and Basil are turning brown! HELP

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Good day! So the past week (around 4 to 5 days) it has been raining hard, and so I placed my thyme and basil indoors under a hydroponic light (image below) for those days. During those times, I watered my basil daily about 1/2 cup of water and the thyme I did so as well but with less water. The sun just came out yesterday, and I happily placed them outside. However, I noticed that my thyme was turning brown and the leaves were falling off. My basil also has a few shades of brown on its leaves, but before it was green all throughout. I checked the roots of my thyme today after watering and some were dark brown but the rest were white. I searched other forums with similar problems which said to stop watering thyme daily and maybe repot, so I repotted my thyme in a smaller plastic pot and set it out in the sun. My thyme before was in a larger plastic pot (medium-sized) and had cocopeat + vermiculite as a soil. For my basil, I just regularly watered it today as I usually do and left it in the sun. If there is no hard rain, our climate here is normally quite warm and sunny. I seriously don't know how to salvage my herbs, well especially my thyme. I'm a newbie and my mint has actually been confirmed a goner today, so now I'm desperate to save my thyme and help my basil recover. What's happening to my herbs and what should I do? Many thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Your basil will recover. Did you by any chance water it from overhead while it was under the grow light? Those spots look like burns caused by the prism effect of water drops on leaves.
Cut your thyme back by about half. That is a lot of top growth to be sustained by the roots that are left.
Most of our herbs come from the Mediterranean region, and grow naturally (wild) on poorer soil and not a lot of moisture.

Ask a Question