My Lawn Spreader Makes Strips

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a scotts edgeguard broadcast spreader I use to put down my fertilizer and insect killer (and occasionally grass seed). I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but it is at least, VERY similar:
00431901.jpg

It has a rotating disc under the "hopper" that spreads the granules all around. When you're using it with fertilizer, the grains are white so you can see them being spread around, and it looks like they are being spread pretty evenly.

But then a week later, there are stripes everywhere. And the stripes are very narrow. It's like the machine is dropping a lot of material directly under it, in addition from the amount it spreads around.

Anyone have experience with this, or know if theres any DIY ways I can improve it's performance?

So a little more info, as I sit here typing this and thinking about it:
- I have no idea how "evenly" the insect killer is spread, because its dark so its basically invisible. And you can't really see the results of insect killer that precisely.
- The fertilizer, you can see it coming out, and you can clearly see the results of it once it starts working.
- With grass seed, you can see it come out and because you're using it on bare dirt, you can see how it lands. And I don't actually recall grass seed coming out uneven.

So maybe the problem is that fertilizer granules are small enough that they kind of leak out, while grass seed does not and spreads properly?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you using the proper setting for the brand of fertilier you're using? That would be all I can think of as to why the spreader is dumping more out than necessary.

There is normally a list on the back of the product packaging that tells what setting to use with which type of spreader you have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anniekay beat me to it, mine is a hand held device, but there is an adjustment for the size of the hole things drop through, check that packet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes my machine has a dial and I always dial it in to the setting it says on the bag. I used it just today to spread a insect killer and a LOT of fertilizer. Hopefully the results will be a little better than the last few times.

Ask a Question