My Cavolo nero / Lacinato kale / Tuscan black Kale is being decimated!

Reaction score
Country
Austria
(Please see Photos!)

I am a beginner gardener, in Tirol, the mountainous part of Austria.

I have a small raised bed, I weeded it and then sewed seeds of Cavolo nero / Lacinato kale / Tuscan black Kale, whatever you call it! I did this around the end of May, beginning of June time. There is nothing else in the plot!

It’s now early August, for the most part they’re looking okay, but some of them, are not looking so good, mostly, though not exclusively in a more shady corner of the plot. Essentially, something is eating the leaves! It’s strange because, whatever is doing this is selective, I found one leaf on a plant munched on, other leaves on the same plant not touched! However, others have been munched to oblivion! I don’t believe it to be slugs, Normally there will be slime trails and there is none. There is also nothing to see on the underside of the leaves, no eggs or anything like that, I’ve not looked in the dark, but during the daytime, nothing is moving on the plot to suggest some insect is around the place. Basically I’m stumped, I don’t know what’s doing this, I’m assuming, all the action is happening after dark? Does anyone have any ideas what this might be, and more importantly what the remedy is? My wife and I were rather hoping we could eat this stuff in autumn not the wildlife!

Please help, I would really appreciate a bit of help and advice on this!

Thank you in advance, Ginlane

Attachments

• (1).jpg
    (1).jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 8
  • (2).jpg
    (2).jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 8
  • (3).jpg
    (3).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I'm in the States and when this happens to me it's either earwigs in the soil that come out at night or little grey caterpillars that hide in daylight and come up from the ground at night. Pyrethrum helps to eliminate those.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some type of caterpiller/worms. They do munch and move from leaf to leaf. Hard to find because they move. BT spray on the leaves will kill them when they eat the leaf. Won't bother humans.

Ask a Question