Moving pots

Reaction score
Hello. Beginner gardener here.

I'm paranoid about my potted plants. I had to move them 3-4 times to get the right amount of sunlight. Could that disturb the growing process? I just planted the seeds 4 days ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Definitely not a problem moving them around...unless you drop them and break roots and stems. Seeds, no worry.

Would you consider plants that will do fine without moving them?

Reaction score
I think your moving them is to try to get them to grow. If you have enough light, keep them watered, the seeds will grow. I can understand you do not want to scorch them, so depending on the type of plant, figure out where they can either get partial sun or diffused light. I have a patio, a "shade porch" and I have some in direct sun. All depends on the plant.

Reaction score
Hello. Beginner gardener here.

I'm paranoid about my potted plants. I had to move them 3-4 times to get the right amount of sunlight. Could that disturb the growing process? I just planted the seeds 4 days ago.

Your question is a little confusing - are you moving actual plants in pots, to give them more light or are you moving pots with just seeds, that you are hoping will germinate?

If it is just seeds - they will only need good light but not direct sunlight, as direct sunlight can kill the seeds.

Reaction score
It shouldn't really be bad for the plants if you move around. Think about it this way, sunlight doesn't always reach plants. Sometimes clouds surround the sky and the plants won't get sunlight, which is totally random. So you randomly moving it around shouldn't do to much damage unless you don't give the plants enough sunlight. Just find an area that doesn't have a great deal of light, but has enough so that you can see what's going on around you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion moving flowerpots isn't necessary. When plants grow outside, no one moves them and sometimes they get more light, sometimes less, it's okay, they still grow healthy. So as long as you keep your plants on a windowsill or near a window, everything should be fine:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am also a little confused are you moving plants around or just potted seeds? I move my plants around as the seasons change and the light in the house changes for those plants that need more light. Seeds do not need to be moved until they have sprouted, you want to make sure to no give them to much direct light.

Reaction score
I think your moving them is to try to get them to grow. If you have enough light, keep them watered, the seeds will grow. I can understand you do not want to scorch them, so depending on the type of plant, figure out where they can either get partial sun or diffused light. I have a patio, a "shade porch" and I have some in direct sun. All depends on the plant.

I apologize for necroing this thread. I was actually moving my plant INTO the sun, from outside. These are non-germinated seeds; I apologize for the confusion. I thought seeds/plants required sunlight to grow. My backyard is too shady, because I have two large trees so I put my plants out of the shade and into the sun, but now I'm finding out that direct sunlight is bad? Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
The amount of sun plants need depends on the type of plants that you have. If they need a lot of sun then they should be on the southern side of your house. Shade lovers need to be on the east or north side. Learn the needs of all of your plants and it will be easier than moving them all of the time. For potted plants they generally need more water and fertilizer when they are in a growing stretch. Learn more about the plants that you have, it will simplify things for you.

Ask a Question