Moles ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

We have an interesting situation on our hillside behind our home - part of it is literally barren, most things planted there - including wildflowers - seem to die out; four crape myrtles and a bougainvillea are fine - very strange.

Next to this area, where we also planted wildflowers at the same times during Fall and early Winter, the area is in full bloom!

Thinking this could be moles.

Any ideas on what this might be, and natural remedies, would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it is moles there will be mounds. Go to a feed store and get some traps and have them explain how to set it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Moles are not that destructive to plants, they are actually classified as insectivores, they don't feed off plants. Their tunnels may disturb young seedlings, but overall they are a plus to a garden, because they aerate the soil and they eat grubs that will feed on roots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If it is moles there will be mounds. Go to a feed store and get some traps and have them explain how to set it.
You're correct - about mounds. However traps are out of the question.
Moles are not that destructive to plants, they are actually classified as insectivores, they don't feed off plants. Their tunnels may disturb young seedlings, but overall they are a plus to a garden, because they aerate the soil and they eat grubs that will feed on roots.
There are likely moles. Since larger shrubs are growing, will likely plant more of them. Appreciate all the comments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't doubt you have mole(s), but I don't think that's what is destroying/killing your plants to a point that the area is barren. Now it possibly could be voles, which do feed on plants/roots. However, there are many other possibilities.

I have moles all over my yard and the only sign of them are the tunnels. They can inadvertently kill small seedlings, but they are not going to make an area go barren.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone.

We have an interesting situation on our hillside behind our home - part of it is literally barren, most things planted there - including wildflowers - seem to die out; four crape myrtles and a bougainvillea are fine - very strange.

Next to this area, where we also planted wildflowers at the same times during Fall and early Winter, the area is in full bloom!

Thinking this could be moles.

Any ideas on what this might be, and natural remedies, would be appreciated.
I'm with "roadrunner" on this 100%. Moles are beneficial to one's garden. We have moles in our garden, so I looked up info online and we've left the moles to do their thing.
People really are far too eager to start killing things off. The key is to keep a healthy balance in your garden. NO pesticides, NO traps/killing devices. Let nature take its course.
In our garden, when the moles showed up so did the Red-shouldered hawks. We've got chipmunks, squirrels, loads of birds and lizards. Everybody does their thing. The only "pests" we have that we try to keep at bay are our neighbors' killer cats.

Ask a Question