Magic mushrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a few of these have appeared on next door's lawn. Anyone know what they are and are they edible?

20241025_115241.jpg
20241025_115247.jpg
20241025_115247.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They don't look like edibles, too yellow. The gills underneath are usually a better guide to species. Most of the things that are really poisonous live on dead wood, but it is not uncommon for wood to get buried and them to pop up in grass.
Best advice, admire them from afar, but don't eat them until you see what it does to the dog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with Oliver. Fungi can come up in the grass off tree roots, old wood in the ground, or just because the spores landed there.
Buy mushrooms at the store or grow your own from mushroom spawn you buy from mail order garden supply. NEVER eat any fungi growing hither and yon as when the poison enters your body, it doesn't break down and will kill you with in days.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have actually been picking mushrooms to eat since I was a child and we holidayed on my uncle's fruit farm, but dad was a biologist with a first in agriculture and showed us how to identify them. Superficially some species can look very similar, if you want to forage wild fungi read them up, certainly, but also get someone who knows to explore with you until you are certain what's what.

Ask a Question