Maggots in plums

fei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am so sick of these pink maggots ruining perfectly food plums. I went to a garden centre last year & told to get this very expensive bottle of formula that you pour into a bottle attached to the hose pipe & douse the tree in November & February which I did, I drenched it. I was told this would kill the larvae before the fruit developed but here I am again with fruit all to be binned. I might as well get rid of the tree if there's no solution to this. Can someone please help 😭

Attachments

• IMG-20240715-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240715-WA0002.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Two things to try. Plum Moth traps which are hung in the tree. They contain a pheromone which attracts the male and they stick to the card and so the females do not get impregnated. Actually the theory is that when you see the males on the card you should spray the tree with an insecticide. Not my idea of good practice. Two. sticky bands round the tree trunk (sticky bit inside. This is done in say July to trap the larva which leave the plums and crawl down the tree trunk to over winter in the soil around the base of the tree.
The winter spray should be used as much on the soil around the tree as on the tree and a really good hoeing of the soil, will expose the overwintering grubs to the birds.
Best of luck.

fei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two things to try. Plum Moth traps which are hung in the tree. They contain a pheromone which attracts the male and they stick to the card and so the females do not get impregnated. Actually the theory is that when you see the males on the card you should spray the tree with an insecticide. Not my idea of good practice. Two. sticky bands round the tree trunk (sticky bit inside. This is done in say July to trap the larva which leave the plums and crawl down the tree trunk to over winter in the soil around the base of the tree.
The winter spray should be used as much on the soil around the tree as on the tree and a really good hoeing of the soil, will expose the overwintering grubs to the birds.
Best of luck.
Oh thank you. The stick bands would be like rubbing vaseline on the truck I guess. I'll have a look for them. I've heard of the moth traps but I found other insects were getting stuck. Thanks 👍

Ask a Question