Looking For Some Good Snake Tongs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have been looking around for a decent pair of snake tongs to allow for the safe removal of unwanted snakes invading the house. This happened a couple of years ago and caught me completely by surprise. I was laying down in my bedroom and noticed the snake on the floor, right in front of my night stand! This didn't happen in the countryside, this happened right in the middle of town! Not sure of the type, it was a fairly small snake that looked like a Copperhead but had an odd olive green colour instead of the usual tan leaf duff pattern. I do not know whether it was venomous, fortunately I didn't have to find out before the snake somehow blundered its way into some glue boards I had set out for the mice, making it easy to restrain using a standard pole grabber. No doubt it was drawn here by the presence of the mice ( another problem I'm working on ). I know that people with Ophidiophobia would be just as glad to kill the creatures on sight but I seek a more humane catch and release into the wild method. I wonder what would be the ideal standard length for catching them and depositing them inside a cooler or other type of containment vessel? An adjustable telescoping feature would be ideal but it also raises the cost considerably and this is not something I intend to do regularly. A locking switch is apparently a highly valued feature among those who use these type of grabber tools.

One reputable maker is Midwest Tongs. They offer a full line of snake tongs with different configurations. Unfortunately, their deluxe models are kinda pricey.

https://tongs.com/product-category/snake-tongs/mt-pro-series/

Budget Option: https://tongs.com/product-category/snake-stix/value-series-tongs/

Another apparent maker is located out of Texas but unfortunately there is almost no data about them on Trust Pilot , Scamdoc or Scam Detector. On Scam Detector, it gives the website a 70.4% trust rating and the domain is billed as coming out of Florida instead of Texas - could it simply be because that is where the host server is located? Their prices seem pretty reasonable for the type of quality they appear to have going for them; however, I am very reluctant to take a chance on them without knowing more. The man whom I assume is the person running the enterprise makes good content ( I'll give him that ). He also has a Facebook page where he engages with his customer base ( I personally do not use Facebook nor intend to ). Some of the latest postings there are fairly recent. Facebook itself has certainly been known to give a platform to scammers in the past.

In this video, he explains why the tongs he offers are purple...

https://aestoney.com/products/snake-tongs/

In another video he promotes another line of his tongs called the "Hydra Mini"...

https://aestoney.com/products/hydra-snake-tong/

Of course, there is always the option of simply getting a cheaply made Chinese pair that uses a cable that easily breaks. I am well aware that snake hooks are cheaper than tongs but they are also intended for use by people who are comfortable handling snakes like the Steve Irwins of the world. I am definitely not the Croc Hunter.

If anyone here is knowledgeable on this subject, I would appreciate your insight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you would be better off getting a can or two of that expandable foam insulation and filling up the gaps where the snakes and mice are entering your house.

You have snakes because the mice are getting in, that's what snakes like to eat.

Ask a Question