Looking for a daffodil stemless substitute, to plant this autumn, for spring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m basically looking for a daffodil stemless substitute, to plant this autumn, for next spring. Last year, I planted daffodils and some tulips, but the wind blew them down (I garden in shallow soil in an urban garden/park. So, I probably wasn’t able to plant the bulbs deep enough). But last Spring, I was in Rochester, in Kent, and I saw in their municipal area, plants that looked like daffodils, but without stems. Basically, they had what looked like a daffodil type flower, but with no stem, so the wind couldn’t affect them. I’m wondering does anyone know the name of them, or what I’m referring to. I wish I told a photo of them last Spring in Rochester.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's a yellow tulip that resembles a Daff that has a very short stem. It's called "Tarda.
1727022957606.png

Miniature daffs grow 6-12" tall. That one is " Tete tete"

1727023007514.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'Tarda' looks like a tulip I was given and told it was 'Turkish', all tulips originate there and I had assumed it was something like the wild form, good to have a name.
There are quite a lot of dwarf daffs, try a Google search, but you might also try checking out crocuses.

Last edited:

Ask a Question