Lawn assessment - what can i do? Moss and weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am a total beginner so please forgive me but can someone give me some pointers on how to improve the health of my lawn. I dont really do any maintainence on it (as you can tell) so want to know what i can do to make it more healthy and green

You cant tell as much now as there is a lot of weed and moss growing through the law.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    484.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.
Get some 3 in 1, Weed and Feed and Moss Killer. Soluble is best and spread it with a watering can. Give it a couple of weeks and when it's a dry day, scarify it.
I use a forty year-old Black and Decker one and go over it twice a year.
They're about sixty to seventy pounds now, but a worthwhile investment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thank you. Is there a technique to apply the 4 in 1?

Also I assume by your response I don’t need to returf lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thank you. Is there a technique to apply the 4 in 1?

Also I assume by your response I don’t need to returf lawn?

Can't really tell from the photos, you may at sometime, need to buy a few rolls of turf for any areas where there's no grass. But now is the best time to get a lawn to recover. The directions on the pack will tell you what the concentration should be. It'll come with a measure and watering cans are usually marked with their capacity. If you've not done it before, it's best to put a few markers down to identify how much lawn you can treat with one can. Just pour it on through the rose, walking at a steady pace. You'll soon get the hang of it. Don't mow before the application or for about three days afterwards. You may need to do it more than once through the summer.
Best wait until the moss goes black before scarifying. Bits you missed that don't die off, you can treat again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is tedious, but to avoid chemicals I spray the weeds with "Magic Vinegar".
The Concoction: 1/2 gallon grocery store 5% acid white vinegar, 1/2 cup table salt and a few drops of plant based dish soap, such as Seventh Generation. I put it in an old spray bottle except when dandelions are going crazy. Then I use the pump sprayer.

Spray it on the leaves when the plants seek water, such as a hot, dry day. They die usually by the next day and shrivel up so the roots pull up easily.

It doesn't kill grass using 5% vinegar, but no weeds have survived. Moss on the pavement dies with it and sweeps up with a broom, but I've never tried it on the lawn. (Stronger cleaning vinegar will kill the grass.)

Chelated iron is said to work quickly on weeds, but I've never had a whole lot of luck with it.

Paul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moss is usually an indication of too wet or deep shade, raking or scarifying will help. A lot of weeds will succumb to regular mowing, those that roseate are easily seen and hit with weed killer. The four in one will work, but supplementing it with raking and mowing is good. When you rake moss out don't expect it to rot, given long enough I suppose it makes peat, but probably best dumped, also cuttings from 4in 1 treated grass, it take at least a year before they are safe for other plants, probably longer.

Ask a Question