Lavender looking brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lower parts of my lavender is turning dark brown and some green parts are drooping, is this something to worry about or what’s causing it? Overall the plant looks fine though some bits of the flower is turning brown too

IMG_4516.jpeg
IMG_4515.jpeg
IMG_4514.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does that, it wants to be woody. When you do cut it back, don't cut down into the woody part, just trim it to leave some green showing and it should fill out again and rebloom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It does that, it wants to be woody. When you do cut it back, don't cut down into the woody part, just trim it to leave some green showing and it should fill out again and rebloom.
Could it not potentially be root rot? I know they are woody at the bottom but seems to be getting more woody. I’m guessing by trimming it you mean to trim it after its finished blooming for the summer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I grew it it just got woody like that every summer.

If you think it's been overwatered and gotten soggy you can tip it out of the pot and if it has good drainage and the roots look solid, not mushy, it doesn't have root rot.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
To me those lower leaves look like they are covered in some kind of mildew. Lavender has been hard for me to grow, so I'm not sure how to heal a root rot or mildew in lavender. I would probably flush the roots & look for a lavender safe antifungal & then let it go as dry as possible without killing it & retreat in 10 days. When they start to look like this for me it usually means it came from the store with a pathogen & I loose them no matter what I have tried. The only successful lavender I have grown has been neglected out in the yard & left mostly alone that came free of disease from the store it gets light once a day watering from a hose in full eastern sun & I don't fertilize them. I know they are finiky about water. Not too much, not too little, when we grow them outside their normal regional climate.

Ask a Question