lasagne gardening

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried this? I've heard of it before, and last night I came across the term again, so I looked up some articles and I'm going to try it. I had planned to dig up all the sod in our back yard and compost it all winter, then spread it in the spring and try one last time to get a reasonable lawn growing, but now I've decided to try the lasagne method to prep the area - much easier for a start!

The concept is that you can prep a brand new site by putting newspaper or cardboard down right over the grass, weeds, whatever, wet it down, then layer brown and green plant matter, with peat, topsoil, and/or compost layers if you want, until the whole is about 8 inches deep, then leave it over the winter. In the spring you plant directly into it. For existing gardens, you do the same thing each fall, but obviously working around perennial plants, and then heavily mulch during the growing season to keep weeds down.

The method is good for organic gardeners, and requires less fertilizing during the growing season, because there is so much nutrient rich material being added to the soil each year.

Here are a couple of interesting articles I found (warning though, the 2nd one is a long read): http://organicgardening.about.com/od/startinganorganicgarden/a/lasagnagarden.htm
http://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...ning-zmaz99amztak.aspx?PageId=1#axzz2cqubjZE9

Reaction score
I've had a couple of people recommend doing this. I'm going to build some raised beds this year and this was how I figure I'll take care of the grass/weeds underneath (our whole yard is grass).

Ask a Question