Ladybugs To The Rescue

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I introduced some special forces troops to my garden yesterday, namely deploying them around my two cherry trees which are infested with aphids as not much else was helping. My question is how soon until the ladybugs start kicking some butt? Will the neem oil I sprayed the trees with have an affect on them? Will the ants that are working with the aphids keep the ladybugs away? Thanks.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
United States
They should start right away. What I do is cut off the new growth that is completely covered in aphids, because they only want the soft growing tips anyway, (it'll grow back,) then the lady bugs do the rest. This minimizes the damage from the aphids.

You could also have hosed them off. Once they hit the ground it's a weeks trip back up the plant, with no food or water, for them !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hosed them, crushed them, drowned them in neem oil. They're tough little turds. I want to watch the ladybugs go in there and Mike Tyson them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aphid infestations seem to come and go. Best of luck with your attempts at aphid control.

Just so you know: When it comes to decimating aphid populations, it's the Ladybug nymphs who are the true chowhounds. Maybe now that you've introduced the adult beetles, you'll garner some future protection as well.

"Mature ladybugs will feed on 20 to 25 aphids per day, but their late-stage larvae will consume 10 times that number, making them far more effective predators, …"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm hoping they're at work because I haven't noticed any anywhere in the garden and none on my cherry trees, which I think are suffering from other issues as well. Going to post some pics later on.

Ask a Question