January Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So, normally by now my plants would be protected from winter chilling, but I had to replace the greenhouse and I just haven't gotten around to putting up the new one. Things were so busy at work leading up to Christmas and then I was just burned out.

I finally got out into the yard yesterday and discovered not only were most of my plants still alive, much of the food producers were blooming and fruiting. (I also still have caterpillars on the passion vine and milkweed!) The eggplant only produced one fruit in late fall and that's still blooming and going as well.

The plants are in large tubs which are sitting on pans of drainage rock, so there's no moving them to the greenhouse. We have had a few days where the temperature dipped into the thirties in the early hours of the morning, but only the cucuzza seems to have suffered from the cold. I am completely amazed! Even the basil is still going, though it hardly has any leaves.

This million sweet cherry tomato vine is 2 years old!
10345554_10207910380055082_8803797257676480275_n.jpg

I almost pulled this creole tomato vine up last fall. It survived the hotter than heck summer, but never produced. My great aunt is going to flip when I tell her it's producing fruit in January!

12548903_10207910380775100_4178949847065764741_n.jpg

I was so excited to get this yellow pear tomato as a plug from a friend and so disappointed with it's performance up until now. It's produced a few late tomatoes, but I have yet to try one because they keep splitting from the ridiculous amounts of rain. Hopefully this batch will make it...

12509765_10207910381575120_1029241070215044801_n.jpg

I really looked forward to having fresh roma tomatoes to make caprese this past summer, but it just didn't happen. Imagine my surprise to find the vine had put out so much growth recently and had produced two fruits!

12548944_10207910381935129_485843963386889503_n.jpg

I guess I am going to have to invest in frost cloth or find some way to create a tent over the containers. We are mostly seeing days in the 50s and 60s right now (F temp), with overnight lows in the 40s. With rain expected for four days starting Thursday, I am tempted to put a tarp over them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing! Keep us posted with the progress - I hope they don't get hit by frost!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have some amazing plants. I hope they stay healthy and the weather stays supportive to their continued growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your plants look wonderful ChanellG. And you have so many tomatoes, it's really great:) There is nothing better than fresh tomatoes, I miss them very much. I bought a few tomatoes in a supermarket yesterday, but they taste weird:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You've got some healthy looking plants there Chanell, perhaps these particular tomatoes prefer a lower temperature to perform. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Tomatoes in January sounds like something I could only dream about here! I guess that's one of the most fun things about gardening - sometimes things will really take you by surprise!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, not something I expected to see at this time of year (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Tomatoes in January sounds like something I could only dream about here! I guess that's one of the most fun things about gardening - sometimes things will really take you by surprise!

Amelia, you're in 9b - it isn't still warm there? I have to cover the tomatoes today to protect them from rain, but when I just had one plant in a three gallon container I would move it into the greenhouse (nothing fancy, just one of those cheap pipe and plastic connector deals you put together). This year winter has been very kind to my garden, thankfully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Amazing! Keep us posted with the progress - I hope they don't get hit by frost!
You have some amazing plants. I hope they stay healthy and the weather stays supportive to their continued growth.
Your plants look wonderful ChanellG. And you have so many tomatoes, it's really great:) There is nothing better than fresh tomatoes, I miss them very much. I bought a few tomatoes in a supermarket yesterday, but they taste weird:(
You've got some healthy looking plants there Chanell, perhaps these particular tomatoes prefer a lower temperature to perform. :)

It was an incredibly hot summer and the warm air has stuck around. We've had a few cold snaps, but nothing serious. I hope I can keep the plants going, but their containers are too large to move so I have to come up with a system to both protect them and keep them warm. The warm I think I can accomplish with a candle heater - wish me luck!

Ask a Question