Ixora brown leaf problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought 2 Ixora plants and they were doing fine for a couple of weeks. Then one of them started getting brown leaves and stems. The other one has a mild case but still seems to be getting flowers and growing. Don't know what is causing it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0556.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0556.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_0557.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0557.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you watering them deeply at least once a week? This is not the best time to plant shrubs, mid summer. I see you're in Florida and the sun is scorching hot, you just transplanted them a few weeks ago, so they will get stressed and typically, lack of water will start with the plant getting brown in the older leaves first.

If they're in full sun, set some shade cloth over them. I use my mesh outdoor chairs set over a plant, for a few weeks, if I have to transplant into full sun in summer. Then, be sure they do not dry out. If the top two inches of soil are dry, water them. They should recover from this fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you watering them deeply at least once a week? This is not the best time to plant shrubs, mid summer. I see you're in Florida and the sun is scorching hot, you just transplanted them a few weeks ago, so they will get stressed and typically, lack of water will start with the plant getting brown in the older leaves first.

If they're in full sun, set some shade cloth over them. I use my mesh outdoor chairs set over a plant, for a few weeks, if I have to transplant into full sun in summer. Then, be sure they do not dry out. If the top two inches of soil are dry, water them. They should recover from this fine.
Thanks for your response. I have them planted in a spot where they mostly just get the morning sun. This time of year they are in the shade from around noon on for the day. And, it looks like the newer leaves are turning brown more than the older leaves. I live in a community where people all over the place have these and I know they don't water or feed them and they are doing very well. Don't understand why. I bought some Ixora food a few days ago and gave them some. Don't know yet if it is helping. And it is weird that one plant is fine and the other isn't. And they are planted right near each other. Same amount of water and sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't feed newly planted shrubs. If you added garden soil or compost to the hole and mixed it in with your native soil, as you should always do, that's enough goodness to keep them going. They have to go from a pot to the soil so they're re working on developing roots. Transplanting is stressful; fertilizer just adds more stress. Just keep them watered. Next time wait until late fall -early spring to buy and plat new shrubs. It's much less stressful for them then.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in South Florida so there really isn't a fall or spring. The closest to spring we have is the winter. The weird thing is I planted another one about a foot away and that one is doing fine. It gets the same soil and the same watering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in South Florida so there really isn't a fall or spring. The closest to spring we have is the winter. The weird thing is I planted another one about a foot away and that one is doing fine. It gets the same soil and the same watering.
I'm fully aware of where you live, I lived 12 years in Ft. Lauderdale. There is fall and spring which is not a drastic change but the heat and light is not as strong as in July/August. Plants are vulnerable when transplanted and high summer climatic conditions cause added stress. November- late February is best for planting new shrubs. One of them is just more stressed than the other.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes sense. I may just replace the bad one.
You really don't need to replace them. They're re not that bad. I would buy a small bottle of either fish emulsion or liquid seaweed and dilute it per the directions on the bottle. Spray that on the leaves also the undersides of them. It will help stimulate new leaf growth due to it feeding trace minerals directly into the plant. Do that when they are not receiving direct sunlight. You don't want wetness on leaves in bright sun, it can burn them ( water acts like a magnifying glass).

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes sense. I may just replace the bad one.
You really don't need to replace them. They're re not that bad. I would buy a small bottle of either fish emulsion or liquid seaweed and dilute it per the directions on the bottle. Spray that on the leaves also the undersides of them. It will help stimulate new leaf growth due to it feeding trace minerals directly into the plant. Do that when they are not receiving direct sunlight. You don't want wetness on leaves in bright sun, it can burn them ( water acts like a magnifying glass).
Thanks for the great advice.

Ask a Question