Is this spider mites on my dipladenia?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The leaves have been yellowing over the summer and I have tried to make sure there is enough (but not too much water) and sun etc. New growth looks fine but then starts yellowing. I have now noticed there are small green patches under the leaves that looks like something is sucking on the plant. I remember this happening when the plant had spider mites last year, but I don't see webs this time (I did last year). Is this mites, a pest, fungus, or something else? I don't think it is a water issue because the new growth looks fine, but then it starts getting yellow patches after a few days / weeks.

Attachments

• yellowingleaveshealthynewgrowth.jpg
    yellowingleaveshealthynewgrowth.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 4
  • newhealthyvinesstartingtoshowsameproblem.jpg
    newhealthyvinesstartingtoshowsameproblem.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
  • undersideofyellowleaves.jpg
    undersideofyellowleaves.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United States
If it were my plant I would cut the new growth off and wash off all the leaves-soap and water, then start new plant in water by removing the 2 lower leafs where the roots will form. Keep it in a shaded indirect light covered in plastic like a greenhouse effect to prevent spreading of the infestation and so the plant won’t dry out. Check for new infestation on new section. If so add a systemic treatment in the water To control a new infestation .
the origional plant use a systemic in the soil to eliminate the infestation and cover with clear plastic to keep them from spreading.
This way you could end up with two plants one with spotty leaves and pest eliminated with the soil,systemic and and or one new plant with healthy leaves.

Ask a Question