Is my passion fruit vine dead?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I’ve had this passion fruit for about 1.5 years. It grew ok and produced about 6 fruits in summer. But has died back and I can just start to see some new growth near the base as we’re about to head into Spring

Is the plant beyond help? Should I cut back the vines with no leaves?

Thanks, from Melb AUS

Image 1 : passion fruit in summer
Image 2 : current image, have repotted to better draining soil

Attachments

• IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5878.jpeg
    IMG_5878.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What temperatures was it subjected to? My passionfruit vines die in freezing weather, but comeback in the Spring. And if we had a winter that was cold, but not freezing, the plant looks dead, but still has some apparent life to it, yet it always comes back to full life in the Spring.

However, I allow it to go wild in my yard, so maybe some do die, but I just don't notice it. Is that potted one in Image 2 your only plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very difficult to kill a passion vine as long as it hasn't had it's root ball totally frozen over winter. They will die back if it gets near freezing, I think below 40 if I remember correctly but come back up in spring.

They grow here in total sand in the wild. Invassive, actually; if you have a succulent garden near them they'll creep right in through underground roots and pop up all over.

Ask a Question