Is my dogwood sun scortched?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted a dogwood last Fall and it seemed to do well but now the leaves are wilted and have brown spots. We are new at this and didn't know the dogwood needed partial shade. Is it sun scorched or is it something else? Can I help prevent the scortch or have I doomed the poor tree?
1000007100.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
They can take some sun but not hot afternoon sun. If you keep it well watered until late fall, when it goes dormant, you could then move it to a shady spot with just some morning sun and I believe it will recover.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Dogwood is an understory lower canopy tree that preffers shade to dappled sunlight so you should consider planting a companion tree that will outgrow it in height & provide shade to the south east of it. You can also build a seasonal little shade for it with 4 poles, some garden twine & shade cloth to shade it from the sun. Place it directly over the tree or create a little wall of shade cloth to the south east where the midday sun sits around 3pm. If it is sunbaked make sure to give it extra water to make it through the hot part of the day. I would plan to build a more permanent trellis or wall as a sun shade with wood slats or lattice if it will live there long term. If it doesn't improve, something else could be wrong like a pest or disease.

Ask a Question