Interesting way of speeding up planting

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
I recently discovered a interesting way to accelerate your potting of germanated seeds🌱.. Instead of putting the roots of each seed into individual holes in the soil, you can , cut a clear plastic party cup in half 🥛.. fill it with compost but leave room for more .. then place the seeds in horizontally... Which U instantly are able to spread the roots out, and create rows of seeds in one cup... The cover with a bit of soil....

Now most seeds have a good chance of flourishing...🌱

I found it really helped in speeding up the growing process ... And is much more efficient

Hope this helps people 👍

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really don't follow this, so you cut the cup in half top to bottom? Place the plants with the leaves sticking over the cut edge? Then what?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
You are not placing plants over edge, you place the roots going down the cup, with leaf at top of cup, nothing over the cut edge. You are essentially planting them horizontally... you place the plants above the soil in half a cup, then cover them with some more soil, this gives you a bed to spread the roots onto. and more chance of taking root, as they are not confined to a small hole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are not placing plants over edge, you place the roots going down the cup, with leaf at top of cup, nothing over the cut edge. You are essentially planting them horizontally... you place the plants above the soil in half a cup, then cover them with some more soil, this gives you a bed to spread the roots onto. and more chance of taking root, as they are not confined to a small hole.
Roots do not " confine themselves to a small hole", they grow down and out. Using deep starter cups give you a better root system.

IDK what you are trying to explain but it isn't clear to me why you are wanting to plant a plant, which naturally wants to grow vertically, in a horizontal position?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So how do you move from the horizontal to the vertical without it all falling out?
Up to you, Get Clear Wide Tape 1728329623669.png and cut off piece to cover the cut side... Then use other half of cup to tape it back on once tape is in place on the half cut section.... or just tape two together after taping each first ( holding in the soil) , then you have a well seeded pot vertically !!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now it sounds like more trouble than just making a hole and popping it in, not an easy way. I think I have enough experience handling seedlings after sixty years of it they mostly grow fine that way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great tip! I'm curious, how do you handle watering the seeds once they're in the cups? Do you water from the bottom or the top?

I've also found that using a humidity dome can help increase germination rates, especially for smaller seeds.

Ask a Question