Insight needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I planted my garden this spring (very late spring), I planted tomatoes, peppers, pickling cukes, a couple of pumpkin plants, all prestarted plants along with onion sets, two rows of sweet corn, and a row each of peas and beans.

Everything that was transplanted is doing great but the onion sets have all died off but for two or three, and the seeds items only germinated one to three plants.

Everything was planted with some 10-10-10 when either the plant went in the ground or when the seeds were put in the rows.

What can I do differently to get better germination of my seeds next year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know what zone you are in but here If you are trying to grow onions from seed in the ground, you should start in the Fall or maybe late Summer for the following year and keep the ground moist enough to allow for an even germination. The air/ground temps are right for germination. You can't start them from seed in the ground in January because it is freezing out.

I start mine from seed about mid January inside in potting mix and a grow light and it takes about 3 months to get to transplant size.

As far as the sets go it is about that time of year for the tops to start falling over to harvest them. I don't have much luck with the sets so I quit using those and either buy the plants or start from seed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My onion sets, I bought from a green house and they already had green tops on them when I transplanted them. Of those sets, I have maybe 3 or 4 that have survived.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
W
When I planted my garden this spring (very late spring), I planted tomatoes, peppers, pickling cukes, a couple of pumpkin plants, all prestarted plants along with onion sets, two rows of sweet corn, and a row each of peas and beans.

Everything that was transplanted is doing great but the onion sets have all died off but for two or three, and the seeds items only germinated one to three plants.

Everything was planted with some 10-10-10 when either the plant went in the ground or when the seeds were put in the rows.

What can I do differently to get better germination of my seeds next year?

Well some plants can't grow near the other plants you listed like the tomatos & peppers should not be planted near the others & the aliums are in a different guild entirely. People have a tendency to overcrowd beds and the established plants sometimes put out chemical ques into the soil to retard the sprouting of other seeds. If it was a late spring this can also stop your seeds from germinating. Maybe you just didn't buy viable seeds from a good company, or you didn't provide the right environment for them to sprout successfully. Each type of seed has its own ideal list for success. You may even have a pest that ate the seeds. There's not enough specific info. to advise beyond those general things.

Ask a Question