Insidious ivy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not sure where this post should go, ivy is the bane of my existence. The previous owners thought they lived in Algonquin Park (which is where they retired to) and created a yard where there were paths, a fountain, almost no grass, bushes and hostas everywhere...and rocks...big ones...hidden everywhere under the hostas and behind bushes. Charming to look at, hell to upkeep.
Slowly, I got some grass, a couple veg gardens, room for the dog to run.
HOWEVER...I can't get rid of the EVIL INSIDIOUS IVY.
This has been a ten year battle. I've pulled it, weed whacked it, cut it, tried to poison it with many concoctions. There's even a farm down the road that has goats but the owners say ivy makes them sick. My neighbours gently mention how they keep pulling the ivy off the fence.
Up my pines, into my wood fencing, up my brick house (those are the first ones I yank) along my patio, into my bushes, up my sheds, even attaching to the planter boxes.
One year I thought I finally got rid of the ones at the front...until the hostas died off and yep, there they were again. The internet is no use.
So any tip, cure, answer, incantation...I'm desperate...lol. Backhoe my be my next move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is one way that I know of to elimanate it but in your case probably a lot of work. There is a product called Cut Vine and Stump Killer. Wherever you find the ivy coming up out of the ground, cut it and put 3 or 4 drops of the killer on the cut portion of the stump. Guaranteed it will work.

Ask a Question