If You Have Them Use Them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our sage was doing very badly in a pot, so last Autumn I took three cuttings. This Spring the missus looked at it and went out and bought three new plants. We now have six flourishing sage plants, overkill, even for vegetarians.
The missus wants thyme in a pot, it doesn't like it and she replaces it, I plant the rejected pot out in the ground and it flourishes, anyone know recipes that use a ton of sage and thyme?

Ginger with Roots

Ginger with Roots
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It sounds like your herbs are happy! Although you might want to add some rosemary in the middle! Hopefully you are old enough to get that joke!

Seriously though, sage is pretty robust in flavor, and most of my recipes use only a leaf or two. Browned butter with chopped sage makes an easy wonderful sauce over butternut squash ravioli. I like sage in my Tuscan bean soup. You can also make herbed butter with thyme for a little extra something on fresh bread or for stuffing under the skin of a roaster chicken/turkey.

If you want to use a bunch up at once, I suggest drying it with a dehydrator or on low in your oven. Otherwise, let it go to flower and bring more pollinators to your garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Our sage was doing very badly in a pot, so last Autumn I took three cuttings. This Spring the missus looked at it and went out and bought three new plants. We now have six flourishing sage plants, overkill, even for vegetarians.
The missus wants thyme in a pot, it doesn't like it and she replaces it, I plant the rejected pot out in the ground and it flourishes, anyone know recipes that use a ton of sage and thyme?

I like to make compound butters with my excess.

Chop up any herbs you like maybe some garlic and mix it with softened butter. Form into a log with parchment, re-chill and cut coins of “fancy butter” whenever you like.

Roast chicken with sage is also fantastic. Maybe glaze with the compound butter you made. 😉

Cheese and sage stuffed chicken breasts are nice with a butter or oil pasta dish

If you dry your thyme, and can find sumac and sesame seeds you could make some Za’atar.

Herb oils are easy to make as well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mad Meg

Latest Threads