Ideas for this barren land?

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I planted several kinds of trees on the sides were there's a drip line. And on the right there's a bunch of fruit trees and a Leylandi cypress leftover from an attempt at making cuttings.

I don't have the slightest idea what to do in the middle. Dimensions are 103 feet long and 60 feet wide or 32mx18m. This is in Bahía Blanca, Argentina and that back fence is the exact South direction.

IMG_20241011_165227912.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of garden do you want? Do you want just a relaxing, easy care garden with trees, bushes, flowering perennials and a water feature? A vegetable garden? A patio with a pergola or screen house with barbecue area?

You need to figure out how are going to use the space before you can get some good suggestions on designing the space.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Argentina; have kids round and play football :)

Seriously, it's up to you, If it were me I would be digging out vegetable beds, is that standing water up this end? Maybe start with some drainage. What sort of soil is it? You won't be getting the same results on loam and heavy clay, consider how much improvement you need to do to it. Start by planning the overall shape, where you put paths, beds, a pond, then work on it bit by bit. Trying to do everything at once is a sure recipe for disillusion, but having an overall idea where you are going stops you thinking "Damn, that's in the wrong place". I'd recommend a list of things you want, a roll of wall lining paper and several large plans before you start work, go wrong on paper, not on the ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Once you figure out where your beds will be, if the ground in compacted till it up then cover the beds with compost and /or leaves. At least 4 inches deep, 6 is better. Cover the pathways with wood chips or some other kind of mulch to supress the weeds and grass. Then take your time and plant. The better you prepare the garden now the less work you'll do later. I learned that the hard way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if the ground in compacted till it up
Rotary tillers tend to compress the soil as the blades pass across the bottom, digging with a fork, or simply lifting the soil with an angled fork and then scuffing the grass from the top, can be a better way. It is also less noisy and doesn't use up petrol. Tillers are good if you are a contractor in a hurry, I prefer to take my time and actually enjoy my day.

Ask a Question