I need validation

Reaction score
Country
United States
20240730_125717.jpg
20240726_150941.jpg

My husband pulled out the overgrown bushes near our house. 15 years ago. I asked him if we could replace the bushes (looking into boxwoods or something prickly) Year after year he keeps saying he will get to it. I decided to do it myself. But I'm a newbie. He tells me you can't plant bushes in the summer. I checked and fall is best, but I'll be at work in the fall. I'm going for if while I can. First I cleared away 15 years of acorn hulls and twigs and leaves. I am planning to buy the bushes. Now he's telling me I need to rototill the area. Is that correct? I'm not going to keep putting this off another year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to this as well as don't have an answer to your question, but it looks like it took a ton of effort to get that space prepped that way. You did a really good job :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
too much shade for Box Woods, they will not make it.

its really not a big space, renting a rototiller for about 4 hours is all you need. Also get some bags of good top soil and peat to mix in as you churn the soil. Success truly is better for plants with good soil base.

Anyway, if you want to plant shrubs in the summer, your going to have to line up a drip hose and have the water on 24/7 for a few weeks , off if it rains naturally.

Pick shrubs that work in shade for success. even if the sun moves about and you are getting some son. Boxwoods need total sun. Why do you want prickly shrubs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
For shade I woild go with Encore Azaleas, thay bloom twice a year and come in lots of different colors.

NO!! You do NOT need a rototiller at all. All those do is mess up the soil and you lose your topsoil by mixing it into the subsoil. Get out a shovel, dig a hole twice the size of your rootball and a little deeper, add good compost and garden soil to the hole, mix it in with your native soil, fill the hole with water, then let the water drain.

Now Put your shrub in, don't burry it deeper than the soil level in the pot, fill in with your new garden soil around the edges, tamp it down with your foot to firm it in and water again to settle the soil and remove air pockets.

You're done. If it doesn't rain 1" per week, water the plants deeply so they will grow their roots deep down into the soil and survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Skip the amendment in the soil and add 4-8” of arborist chippings as a mulch. This keeps down weeds, lessens evaporation and feeds the soil microorganisms. I highly recommend the gardenprofessors.com site for best practices information.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
guidance for preparing your garden area:

1. Evaluate the Soil - If the soil is very compacted or has a lot of clay, rototilling might help to improve its structure and mix in amendments like compost, which can improve drainage and nutrient content.
  2. Consider the Plants - Boxwoods and many prickly shrubs have fairly adaptable root systems that can handle a range of soil conditions without requiring extensive preparation like rototilling.
  3. Soil Amendments - Whether you decide to rototill or not, mixing in some organic matter like compost or peat moss can greatly improve the soil's health and support your new plants.
  4. Planting - If you choose not to rototill, ensure you dig individual holes for the bushes that are twice as wide as the root balls of the plants but just as deep. This allows the roots to spread out without forcing them too deep into potentially harder, unbroken soil.
  5. Watering and Care - After planting, make sure to water the bushes thoroughly and keep the soil moist but not soggy. A layer of mulch can help retain moisture and suppress weeds.
This approach will help you successfully plant and establish your new bushes with minimal delay!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dont forget plants like ironleaf. There are nursuries nearby you that supply the local area. Since the conversation is free I would go down and pick their minds about what mixture of plants and soil works there. Show these and more pictures. Dont forget to adhere to the mature size when planting, or be ready to dig some up and move them when they crowd.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some varied advice :)
I am form England, but I understand Chicago can get pretty hot in summer, but you are already past the hottest part. When do you go back to work? Might be a good idea to leave it to the last few days, but it will probably work anyway if you water well. Improving the soil can help some plants, others may not need it, most things will not like it very compacted, but I don't see why it should be if bushes came out of there, a bit of fertiliser might help. Basically plants want to grow, that's what they do, you can make it easier or harder for them, but they will still try. Talking to the local nursery is a good idea, but if you go for a reasonably priced option you are not going to lose a lot even if they do fail. Roses don't have to be standard tea roses, I have used a rambler with wicked thorns in a corner where kids were always climbing over for quick access to the park, if it is security you are thinking of that worked well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 104638View attachment 104639
My husband pulled out the overgrown bushes near our house. 15 years ago. I asked him if we could replace the bushes (looking into boxwoods or something prickly) Year after year he keeps saying he will get to it. I decided to do it myself. But I'm a newbie. He tells me you can't plant bushes in the summer. I checked and fall is best, but I'll be at work in the fall. I'm going for if while I can. First I cleared away 15 years of acorn hulls and twigs and leaves. I am planning to buy the bushes. Now he's telling me I need to rototill the area. Is that correct? I'm not going to keep putting this off another year.
Yes, you would likely have to turn over the soil, put a lot of mulch in, wet it etc. Depending on how good or bad your soil is, you may need soil improver or something that keeps the moisture in the soil. If you're unsure about your soil quailty, you can put some in a sandwich bag, and take it down to a garden shop and they may be able to tell you the PH levels and other things about your soil; and what to do with it to get it going. It depends on what you want to grow also. Whichever plants you want to grow, ask them how alkaline etc it needs to be for particular plants.

But yes, it needs turning over, so the soil can become soft.

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't go on too much of a tangent!

Ask a Question