I need some houseplants that don't need light

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are the houseplants that need the least light? I have moved to my new home, and the light is not good at all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello John Davis,
Congratulations on your new home!

Monotropa uniflora (also known as "Ghost Plant") will grow with zero light. They have no photosynthetic functions at all.
It's no surprise that they're white in color. (And they are really creepy looking)

These are plants with which we've had great success in low light conditions:

In very low light, we've had good success with Peace Lily & some orchids. The orchids do like to be moved in the sun once in a while. This will help them bloom. If I remember correctly, Moth Orchid was a great success.

Sansevieria trifasciata (Mother In Law's Tongue) does well with low light. It does fine even in rooms that only get artificial light from lamps. Bathrooms and hallways are a good example. We have a couple that see no sunlight and they grow slowly, but consistently.

Our Arcea Palm did well for years in fairly low light. After about 15 years it suddenly died. I was sad. It was somewhat sentimental to me. These are really cheerful looking plants.

I hope these give you hope that there are plants for your new home!
Paul

Reaction score
Country
United States
Castiron Plant is very low light and I grew a Hoya Carnosa, or Wax plant as they are commonly referred to, in very low light and it flowered like crazy for me. Both are very low maintainance plants .

Ask a Question