I need a very hypoallergenic lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Roommate has incredible allergies including to most grass. We are in a beach town in the PNW, where the weather is mild, but our backyard is all sand.

I looked into buffalo grass and am still looking for a few ounces to do a test run. Are there others out there that are suitable for me? I did find wheatgrass, which would be very funny in our neighborhood of many cats. Basically, though, I'm ignorant. Could folks advise? Thank you so much!

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can get artificial grass, the substrate for this generally has sand just below the grass.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Edit: apparently what I want is Sir Walter buffalo grass. It's said to have sterile seeds, so great for allergies, not so easy to grow. Some say any seeds are a scam, and you have to buy turf. I say I'm going under for the third time. Is there a way to grow Sir Walter in the US? (online is all Australian)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any grass is not really appropriate for a beach side residence. The salt air will damage it. I would just do a gravel yard and use different colored gravel, flanked by edging, for a path to add interest. For instance: Abrown gravel walking path and multicolored gravel or dark grey stone on the rest of the yard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has a tiny garden and two football mad sons, they wore holes in everything he planted. Eventually he put down 'astroturf', artificial grass, it looks good, you have to look quite closely to see it isn't grass, and wears well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A grass allergy is an allergy to all grasses. So grass of any kind won’t work. You could try Acorus as a lawn substitute. It looks like grass but you don’t have to mow it.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apparently what I want is Sir Walter buffalo grass. It's said to have sterile seeds,
Surely if the seeds are sterile they won't grow, or do you mean the seed produces sterile plants that do not form pollen.
How does your room mate cope with the many neighbourhood cats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few alternatives to grass, off the top of my head, clover, chamomile, a small mint (Cyprus mint?), and there are others, or moss of course, my lawn was mostly moss when we came here.

Ask a Question