I am a beginner and I need advice for planting in my partial sun, 8ft by 4 foot bed. Northern Illinois,Zone 5

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is so much information out there I feel overwhelmed! I am looking for advice on relatively low maintenance but colorful (pollinators if possible) plants and flowers for my smallish rectangular flower bed. the back of our house faces west and we have a large tree that partially shades this garden area. Please and thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whatever you do, go native. Most plants people put in their flower gardens are non-natives because they tend to be more showy and are easier to grow, but they create ecosystem problems. Do a google search for your county + seed bank. Many libraries have seed banks. Check to see if they have a native wild flower mix or even individual wild flowers suited for your area. If you'd rather buy plants, search for native nurseries in your area.

Ask a Question