Hydrangea Question...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought and planted three Hydrangea's. I'm not sure which variety they are as the packaging did not say. I've attached photos. Context...
  • I'm in Colorado (Zone 5b)
  • The soil around them is clay but the hole I dug (about twice their root ball diameter) was amended with garden/potting soil.
  • They get maybe 50% sun, mostly afternoon.
  • Watered daily via drip initially but then switched to bubblers which provide more water.
They've been in the ground for almost two month. There was a little growth initially but then all the existing blooms died off but are still on the plant (see photos). There's evidence of new growth however, both in leaves and blooms (again, see photos). This new growth only showed up after the change in water delivery.

It sure seems to me that they should have been doing better by now. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
They are certainly very thirsty plants and they need a good feed when young, I would generally leave their heads on over winter..... to protect the plants trimming down to the new spring bud. If they were mine I would snip off the dead heads now to let light and air onto the new growth but now take off any of the twig

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are certainly very thirsty plants and they need a good feed when young, I would generally leave their heads on over winter..... to protect the plants trimming down to the new spring bud. If they were mine I would snip off the dead heads now to let light and air onto the new growth but now take off any of the twig

I'm not clear on what you said. Are you saying I should remove (cut off) the dead blooms now but come winter leave any dead ones on?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Keep the gentle watering. I would not snip off anything with the exception of removing the flowers. Can use some Bone Meal. They like to have their feet settle in first for a while, a while could be two years. As long as you see new growth all is well. When they do bloom you have to pay attention if they bloom on new wood or old wood, that will tell you how to prune, but that will be a while from now. I see your in zone 5.

Ask a Question