Hudson Valley Deer-Resistant Evergreen Shrubs Needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
The past few years, the deer have become more and more adventurous in their palate, and basically have treated our front yard perennial bed like a salad bar this year. I've put a few fences up around individual plants that we want to keep, but I've decided to turn the rest of this bed into something else. Rather than seeding it with grass, I thought it might be nice to grow some mid-sized evergreen shrubs in there. The area gets a lot of sun in the morning, and mostly shade in the afternoon.

Any other Hudson Valley residents here? What have you had luck with (if anything)? About the only shrub the deer haven't bothered here are our Andromedas. In addition to the perennials, they've chowed down on red osier dogwoods, viburnums, Clethra, stag horn sumac, yews and more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Our Airbnb is in New Bern, NC. in gated community called Fairfield Harbor. And they have deer. Have the same situation, they eat all the stuff I grew to love in my North Home. So far they have not eaten the Calicarpia, day lillies, Lavender patch (there are ruffly 12 planted) Daffs, I know some of those are not shrubs. Forget Hydrangeas, we tried one, poor thing dead. Wish the area would believe in culling. Anyway, good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same problem with deer Jonny. Below is a link to the British Royal Horticultural Society which may help you. There's quite a long list of plants that you can try if they are available to you in America.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Japanese Hollies. Deer hate them. My mother in New Jersey planted those due to the deer. So brave they were they knocked over her trash cans getting into the yard !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will look into Japanese hollies. I know they've been enjoying munching on our English hollies. I figure at this point they'll try just about anything! :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have the same problem with deer Jonny. Below is a link to the British Royal Horticultural Society which may help you. There's quite a long list of plants that you can try if they are available to you in America.

thank you for that link I will pass it on to the gated community facebook at our airbnb. They have a "garden club" never attended, not here long enough to participate, but the folks will like the added knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
You're welcome @Esther Knapicius. I noticed Buddleja are listed as possibly not deer resistant, but they haven't touched mine.
the deer there are plentiful. those folks really need to consider culling. the other day just saw two standing in the front lawn area. Or husband will scare up some laying on the side as he's walking down the woodened path to the dock. They do not get that too many foster diseases. They also have black bears that roam about, and those reporting seeing them think they are "so cute", SmH, they need to be relocated. Currently talk about some roaming alligator. I am gone now, up North to our home. Can't fight city hall, LOL.

Ask a Question