How's your weather?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see people saying they are picking a bushel of tomatoes off plants that are still flowering when they should be finished, that the hedgehogs are not hibernating yet, and I am still seeing bees in my garden, though nearly all the flowers are finished. Rain has been pretty heavy lately and last Summer was very dry here. To me it doesn't bode well, I know the weather always varies, but it seems to be outside the normal parameters. How is it your way? Is this a world-wide phenomenon?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it has a lot to do with how the jet stream is acting this year, and has been changing from it's usual seasonal paths. My area is unseasonably cold. We had 43f low temp last week and we normally don't get that until December.

I've noticed that things are approximately, for the past 15 or so years, about two months off either way. Last spring we had summer temps in mid march !!
Possibly the warming, melting of the glaciers and volcanic activity in Greenland, and elsewhere has disrupted the jet stream which helps conduct the flow of cold and warm air circulating around the globe and that is causing weather variations and fluctuations. Just my guess as I'm not a climatologist !! 😄

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
It's getting colder here but thankfully a bit sunny in the day recently. Some showers in the evening.
There's a lot of things that can affect the weather, natural and unnatural.
I see a huge amount of air traffic where I live. The vast sheets of cirrus cloud it causes often blocks out a lot of sunshine and there just seems to be more rain and fungal problems each year.
For now I'm just trying to think how best to be adaptable in what I grow or at least in the methods used.

Ask a Question