Howdy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Senior citizen, veteran and a slew of other names🤣. What brings me here this evening is grasshoppers 🤣. Walking around the place is like being in a pot of popping corn. They are ravenous for sure. As a organic, make my own inputs kinda fellow I'm having difficulty coming up with a solution. Pun intended. I've got the jadam books which I should have in my lap .😁 But I'll be the typical and ask a forum 1st. Do you know of something that grasshoppers don't like to eat. Our sweet potatoes are at stake here.😁
Thank you.

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Senior citizen, veteran and a slew of other names🤣. What brings me here this evening is grasshoppers 🤣. Walking around the place is like being in a pot of popping corn. They are ravenous for sure. As a organic, make my own inputs kinda fellow I'm having difficulty coming up with a solution. Pun intended. I've got the jadam books which I should have in my lap .😁 But I'll be the typical and ask a forum 1st. Do you know of something that grasshoppers don't like to eat. Our sweet potatoes are at stake here.😁
Thank you.
Hello and welcome.
Them grasshoppers are terrible here this summer also .
I always use diatomaceous earth which is organic and does a pretty good job of keeping them away .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum !!
You need to keep your grass cut low and often in spring because they eat the tender shoots of the grass, not the tougher parts.

I had Lubber grasshoppers, they get HUGE !! When my husband was alive and we were on the farm I had them sitting on the grass tips in morning. I'd take two small blocks of wood and squish them. Once we turned the goats out on that plot, the rest would disappear. My husband thought the goats ate them !! IDK !! But, chickens do eat them

Ask a Question